Neat symbol for mathematical/logic "Because" ???

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Neat symbol for mathematical/logic "Because" ???

Post by ChrisGreaves »

While I’m at it, has anyone (here) devised a neat way of typing a symbol for “because”?
From my days. 50 years ago, in logic. I make use of a symbol that looks like a triangle of three dots, two on the top, one on the bottom.
Also “there exists” – a backwards-facing capital “E”
Also “belongs to” - looks a bit like Ɛ (Latin Capital letter Open - 0190), ɛ(Latin Small Letter Open e - 025b) but I suspect it is a latin "e"

Thanks
Chris
By definition, educating the client is the consultant’s first objective

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Neat symbol for mathematical/logic "Because" ???

Post by BobH »

Interesting. I learned that those 3 triangular dots were read as 'thus' or 'therefore' (sometimes, 'ergo').

And, no, I haven't found a way to type it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

If you're using Word 2007 or later, it's very easy. Go to File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options. On the Math AutoCorrect tab of the dialog, check the box for "Use Math AutoCorrect rules outside of math regions". Then you can use all the predefined abbreviations for symbols, and AutoCorrect will replace them with the symbols as you type. For example, you can type \because and it will be converted into the Because symbol. You can also create your own abbreviations, either for symbols that don't have predefined ones or to make shorter abbreviations.

The long way 'round is to click Insert > Symbol > More Symbols. Set the font dropdown to Cambria Math (or maybe one of the big Unicode fonts, Arial Unicode or Lucida Sans Unicode) and set the Subset dropdown to Mathematical Operators. There are a ton of them... Click on one and make a note of the "Shortcut key" at the bottom of the dialog, which is the character's Unicode character code followed by Alt+X. Repeat as needed. Symbols that you use a lot can be assigned actual shortcuts by clicking the Shortcut Key button, or you can make an AutoCorrect entry that will replace (for instance) the symbol's name with the symbol itself.

Or you can just select a symbol and click the Insert button; the symbol will be inserted at the cursor and also added to the small recently-used list in the Symbol button's gallery.

For starters, the "Because" symbol is Unicode 2235, the "Therefore" symbol is 2234, "There Exists" is 2203, and "Belongs To" (actually "Element Of") is 2208 for the large size and 220A for the small one.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Jay!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:... the character's Unicode character code followed by Alt+X. ...
Untitled.png
Jay! A dream come true!
I'm going to celebrate tonight with TWO slices of ginger cake, because you won't be here to have your piece :grin: :thankyou:
(Wanders off to start typing up his design notes from the past 30 years .....)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By definition, educating the client is the consultant’s first objective