I miss Find All

mcoleman
NewLounger

I miss Find All

Post by mcoleman »

In XP, I could search for a string of text using wildcards, select Find All, the copy it and paste it into a new document. This came in handy often for analyzing information. Is Find All gone for good? I would sometimes use it to highlight a certain word or string in a text to help in editing, which is still an option, I can't find how to select the specific information I'm looking for and copy it to the clipboard. I did come up with a workaround, where I search for the string I'm looking for, replace it with itself (^&) with a unique character formatting, close the Find/Replace dialogue box, find one instance of what I replaced, highlight it, right click, and then select Styles | Select Text With Similar Formatting. So, I can make it work, but it's not as easy as it used to be. Is the Find All hidden somewhere?

Thanks,

Gig

HansV
Administrator

Re: I miss Find All

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Which version of Word are you using now? In Word 2007 (and presumably 2010, but I haven't seen the new version yet), Find All has been replaced with Reading Highlight > Highlight All:
x146.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

mcoleman
NewLounger

Post by mcoleman »

I'm using Word 2007. I noticed that Find All had been replaced. I'm just not happy about it. I am happy that, through years of being a member of this (and previously Woody's) lounge, I was able to find a workaround, as described above. :)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

HansV wrote:In Word 2007 (and presumably 2010, but I haven't seen the new version yet), Find All has been replaced with Reading Highlight > Highlight All:
In Word 2010 it is called "Advanced Find". It looks and appears to act the same as Word 2007.

Joe
Joe

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

You don't have to miss the Find All that selects all items. In the Find and Replace dialog, click the Find In button and choose Main Document from the dropdown.

I know this is an old thread, but I just found this site.

Pam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Pam,

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge! Nice to see you here.
Best wishes,
Hans

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

PamCaswell wrote: I just found this site.
    And we're glad that you did. Welcome aboard. :cheers:
Regards
Don

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

Hans, I saw your name on MS Answers and had to know if it was you and so followed your link here. I'm so glad to see your great answers again. And congratulation on your MVP status.

Don, thanks for the welcome. I know I'll continue to learn more and more here.

Pam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Pam - I've only been an MVP since last month.

I've always admired your thorough replies to questions about Word, so it's great to have you!
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

JoeP wrote:
HansV wrote:In Word 2007 (and presumably 2010, but I haven't seen the new version yet), Find All has been replaced with Reading Highlight > Highlight All:
In Word 2010 it is called "Advanced Find". It looks and appears to act the same as Word 2007. Joe
In Word 2010, is there a way to cause Ctrl+F to bring up "Advanced Find"? The Word 2010 Ctrl+F > Find panel usually doesn't have the option I need (Match Case, Search Up, etc.), and it's not obvious to me which of multiple Finds is the one where I'm currently at in the document.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I usually press Ctrl+H to open the Find and Replace dialog at the Replace tab, and if I only want to search, activate the Find tab.

You can also add the Advanced Find command to the Quick Access Toolbar. Or assign the EditFind command to the Ctrl+F shortcut to restore the pre-Word 2010 behavior.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

HansV wrote:I usually press Ctrl+H to open the Find and Replace dialog at the Replace tab, and if I only want to search, activate the Find tab.
Hans, thanks for the answers. You reminded me that Ctrl+H gets me to where I'm comfortable; if I only want to search after setting my options, I will just hit Find Next. (No need to activate the Find tab, As Long As I DO NOT Click The Replace All Button with nothing in the Replace With box!)
Sundog