Word .doc document & <TABLE_NAME> tag

Robie
5StarLounger

Word .doc document & <TABLE_NAME> tag

Post by Robie »

Hi

As part of internal process we create some "text" files in Unix system which are emailed as *.doc* files to the interested parties. The reason for using the .doc extension is that we can just double-click the attachment, which automatically opens in Word and an Addin can then process it.

Recently, we have found that the users are embedding <TABLE_NAME> tag in the text that we send out as .doc. The tag is for future use only and doesn't require any special processing. But, when we open the attachment, Word is treating this tag as instruction and trying to create a table. So, now we have to send out text file as .txt file, open it as an attachment, copy the contents, open a blank Word document, paste the .txt file content into it and then let the Addin take care of it. It has added these steps to the process which we could do without.

Now, the question. Is there any way we can instruct Word to ignore tags such as <TABLE_NAME> and just treat the tags as text? Possibly not but thought I would just ask. BTW: We are using Office 2010.

Thanks
Robie

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Re: Word .doc document & <TABLE_NAME> tag

Post by Charles Kenyon »

I suspect that the problem is in your Add-In rather than in Word. I have no trouble opening a text file with a doc extension in Word when it has a tag like that in the text. What happens if you start Word with your Add-In disabled and try opening the document?

Note that the <TABLE_NAME> does not show up in the document, either, when it is opened in Word.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

<TABLE_NAME> has no effect on the document, however,
<TABLE NAME> (without the underscore) converts text that follows it into a table.

@Robie - What does the tag look like that is in the *.txt document? Underscored or not?

Why is the tag there? Can one ask the users to NOT embed the tag in the doc? Or if it had to be done, add the words TABLE HERE and avoid tag type syntax.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

Rudi wrote:<TABLE_NAME> has no effect on the document, however,
<TABLE NAME> (without the underscore) converts text that follows it into a table.

@Robie - What does the tag look like that is in the *.txt document? Underscored or not?

Why is the tag there? Can one ask the users to NOT embed the tag in the doc? Or if it had to be done, add the words TABLE HERE and avoid tag type syntax.
Thanks Rudi & Charles.

Apologies, I meant the actual table definition tag <TABLE NAME> not <TABLE_NAME>. Doh. Yes, I can ask users to stop including texts but you know how these users are. :(

Basically, I want Word to ignore tags in the document (which it seems is not possible).

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you change the extension of a text file to .doc, Word will open it as if it were a HTML file, so anything that looks like a HTML tag will be interpreted as a HTML tag. That cannot be avoided.

It is possible to open a .txt file directly in Word: right-click it and select Open With > Microsoft Word from the context menu. All text, including HTML tags, will then be displayed "as is".
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:If you change the extension of a text file to .doc, Word will open it as if it were a HTML file, so anything that looks like a HTML tag will be interpreted as a HTML tag. That cannot be avoided.

It is possible to open a .txt file directly in Word: right-click it and select Open With > Microsoft Word from the context menu. All text, including HTML tags, will then be displayed "as is".
Fantastic Hans. That will do me.
You deserve a pint for that comment - any time in London. :cheers: :clapping: :fanfare: :thankyou: