Word2003 ~*.tmp

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Word2003 ~*.tmp

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I have a little macro that saves my Microsoft Word document (under edit) every so-many minutes. I notice that this spawns a collection of ~*.tmp files which Microsoft Word often clears up after the document is closed. I have discovered that if I capture and rename one of these files to be a *.doc it makes a perfectly good backup copy.

Can anyone come up with a good reason not to employ the ~*.tmp as archive copies?
That is, have any of you ever found that such a file does NOT represent a good snapshot of the document being edited?

I note that my macro is making a complete copy of the file, and as such differs from the Tools, Options, Save, Save Autorecover files that Microsoft Word sprinkles about.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word2003 ~*.tmp

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Word2003 ~*.tmp

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Thanks Hans.
I got as far as "A temporary file is a file that is created to temporarily store information in order to free memory for other purposes" and started wondering what happened to virtual memory, swap files and the like, so I have d/l the page and will study it in detail at home once the Biscotti is baked and the cuppa tea is to hand.
Thanks again.

But my original query still holds:
Has any one on Eileen's Lounge tried using one of these files as a DOCument and found that it has a defect or deficit?
He who plants a seed, plants life.