Creating drop-down lists in WORD

dmcnab
3StarLounger

Creating drop-down lists in WORD

Post by dmcnab »

Hi loungers....I am familiar with creating drop-down lists in Excel, using data validation etc etc -- you click a cell and you get access to a list of menu items etc etc that may be on a second (or hidden) sheet.....is it possible to set up the same thing in a WORD document? If so, can someone explain the procedure, or post a sample WORD doc showing how this is done? Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Creating drop-down lists in WORD

Post by HansV »

See for example this article.
Best wishes,
Hans

dmcnab
3StarLounger

Post by dmcnab »

Hi again, loungers....I have figured out how to turn on the DEVELOPER tab and use it to create a drop down list....it seems to work fine....I have a document where I want to enter data (using the drop down menu) on 1 part of the page, and have it replicated elsewhere on the page...see Sample 1 uploaded......I need the 'Name' and 'Address' inputted at the top to repeat itself further down on that same page.....how can I set it up to do that? Thanks...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm travelling at the moment without access to a computer with Office. Hopefully someone else will take a look at your document.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

You can use a combination of Bookmarks and Cross References to do this.
See the attached sample for a demo; and for more detailed steps, see here...

For several different ways to do this incl. using REF fields see this in-depth article...
This Microsoft Word Tips & Microsoft Word Help page offers several solutions to the question, "How do I enter data in one place in a document and have it automatically repeated in other places?" My intention is not to reinvent the wheel, so after a brief discussion I may simply send you on to an existing tips page or other web articles containing full explanations of some of the more comprehensive methods.
Sample 1.docx
STEPS:
Select a field, and while selected, choose INSERT and Bookmark. Give it a name.
Then place your cursor in the position where the text must repeat and choose INSERT and Cross Reference. Select the options in the dialog as in the image below and choose OK. When you change the value in the drop down, the cross refernce will update (caveat: after selecting the document and pressing F9.) This can be automated with a macro that can update the fields before a print or before saving the doc...etc.
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

dmcnab
3StarLounger

Post by dmcnab »

Hi Rudi...thank you very much for your helpful assistance....I have made up a drop-down menu template (using the Avery 5360 label template)...it is working well, with one exception....I have used Developer etc as you suggested, and created lists of drop-down menu items......I also need it to let me free-form type into the fields.....I am attaching the document that I created...can you take a look at it and let me know how I can permit free form typing within the fields (in addition to using drop-down menu lists)? Thank you

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Instead of Drop-Down List Content Controls, use Combo Box Content Controls.
S0670.png
Best wishes,
Hans