Lost work after Word crashed

jmt356
SilverLounger

Lost work after Word crashed

Post by jmt356 »

Word crashed and when it restarted, the recovery pane did not open. I had three documents open and none of the changes I made were saved. I tried to recover the lost data by setting hidden files and folders to be visible and then going to the last location in which the documents were saved, but I did not find any temporary files to try to open.
Is there a way to activate the recovery pane to recover my lost work?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Lost work after Word crashed

Post by HansV »

Select File > Options.
Click Save in the navigation pane on the left.
Have the check boxes "Save AutoRecover information every ... minutes " and "Keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving" been ticked?
If not, you're probably out of luck.
If they are, look at the setting for "AutoRecover file location". That's the folder to look in (with its subfolders).

You can also look at File > Open, then click "Recover Unsaved Documents" near the bottom.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Both options are ticked. I browsed to the folder indicated under AutoRecover file location. However, they are .asd files and Windows does not know which program to use to open them.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Windows did not know how to open these files when I tried to open them from Windows Explorer. However, I was able to open them directly from within Word by browsing to the relevant location. Thank you Hans!
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I see you came right so I'll post this anyways for future readers...

Taken from this page called: How to recover a lost Word document
Search for .asd files in all folders

If you cannot locate an .asd (AutoRecover) file in the location that is identified in the Folder name list, search your whole drive for any .asd files. To do this, follow these steps:
Refer method 1 to perform a search for *.asd files.
Scroll through the files to see the one that you are looking for.
If you are not sure which file is the right one, copy and save all .asd file to a location.
Start Word.
Click File > Open.
Browse to the location that you saved the .asd files, click to select All Files *.* because the .asd files may not be displayed.
Click to open the .asd file one by one.
If you find the missing file, save it immediately.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.