Locked Word documents (Word 2007)

steveh
SilverLounger

Locked Word documents (Word 2007)

Post by steveh »

Hi all

I have been forced from Word 2003 ( :sad: ) to Word 2007, I have loads of password protected documents, however when I go into review on the tab the document lock icon says "Protect Document" suggesting that the document is already unlocked, when I click the down arrow it is showing Unrestricted. I have tried the key combination that you use in 2003 versions to show the pages to access and remove the password but that doesn't work. Any ideas please?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Re: Locked Word documents (Word 2007)

Post by HansV »

If you mean that you have set a password to open the document, this is set through Office button > Prepare > Encrypt Document.
If it is a password to edit the document, it is set in Office button > Save As > Tools > General Options.
See Password protect documents, workbooks, and presentations.

The Protect Document button on the Review tab of the ribbon lets you protect a document for forms and similar.
Best wishes,
Hans

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

HansV wrote:If you mean that you have set a password to open the document, this is set through Office button > Prepare > Encrypt Document.
If it is a password to edit the document, it is set in Office button > Save As > Tools > General Options.
See Password protect documents, workbooks, and presentations.

The Protect Document button on the Review tab of the ribbon lets you protect a document for forms and similar.
Hi Hans

thanks for your input, the link you supplied was very similar to something I had already investigated but I still couldn't unlock the documents, I know the passwords are correct because I have a rigid naming rule for Company documents. As a temporary measure I set up an old PC that had Excel 2003 running on it, unlocked the documents using the password and then emailed them back to myself to edit on my desk PC.
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad to hear you found a workaround.
Best wishes,
Hans