changing format of pasted text

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

changing format of pasted text

Post by Dave Davison »

I just copied a brief article from a web page which -when pasting into a blank Word doc- because of the original formatting, only stretches half way across the page. From the attachment it will be seen that there are no (none printing) line break / enter symbols which can be deleted using the ^l find and replace with a space symbol only some small squares at the end of the first four lines which -I suspect- determine the formatting of the rest of the article. Is there any way the text can be made to stretch across the entire page please? :scratch: :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: changing format of pasted text

Post by HansV »

The symbols indicate that the text has been pasted as a table. You can either format the table or paste special and select the option to paste as plain text.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Or click in the table, go to the Table Tools > Layout tab, and click Convert to Text.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

..........thanks gents, I know the hurdle was not massive but another small feather in my cap. Thanks a lot Dave..

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

I used to have but somehow have lost a tutorial type file that idicated where everything in the various tool bars of XP are now located in windows 7. (eg) When opened, the said tutorial displayed a Word doc & by simply clicking on a tab on the toolbar would bring to view a menu showing where the contents have been move to in Windows 7. Would be most grateful if anyone can point me to that said -or similar- tutorial. :scratch: Dave.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Dave Davison wrote:I used to have but somehow have lost a tutorial type file that idicated where everything in the various tool bars of XP are now located in windows 7. (eg) When opened, the said tutorial displayed a Word doc & by simply clicking on a tab on the toolbar would bring to view a menu showing where the contents have been move to in Windows 7. Would be most grateful if anyone can point me to that said -or similar- tutorial. :scratch: Dave.
Are you really referring to XP and Windows 7, or do you mean how to find the Word commands now hidden in the ribbon?
(e.g. Download Microsoft Word 2010: Interactive menu to ribbon guide from Official Microsoft Download Center)
Leif

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

......as you suspected leif, I was so familiar with the toolbars in XP and where to find commands I occasionally used but W7 -with it's so called "Ribbon"- (I think) simply complicated rather than simplified things, at least for me.I looked at the link you gave but the info bears no relation to what I am looking for. As for the text first mentioned I have added a screen shot with a comment which is one way to summount this small hurdle. :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Dave,

First, the link that Leif points to is a Microsoft created flash application that provides a very good animated and interactive caption based mapping of the locations of the commands between the old toolbar format and the ribbon format. You need to download and install the application, and once its running will illustrate exactly where the commands are found on the ribbon, after you click on the familiar commands of the toolbar. To see an article on this app, click here, or see the attached Excel navigation guide that is also mentioned in the article...(I had to zip it as it's a little too big for the upload limit set here in the lounge)...
TS1018171391.zip
With regards the data you copied from an outside source. As Hans and Jay mentioned, it was pasted into a table structure in your document. The grid lines are hidden so this does complicate the matter that is does not look like a table. You could look for the toggle option in the table menus to activate the grid lines to allow you to see them and provide another way to widen the tables and the text it holds. You have simply widened them using the indent options. Have you tried the option of pasting as text, either from the paste options dropdown below the paste button in 2010 or from the paste special options in 2003?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks a whole bunch guys, after a lot of too-ing & fro-ing both hurdles have been summounted plus -into the bargain- I have an extra "Search Commands" tab that I never had before which makes locating seldom used commands easy to locate. [At least if it was there already I was unaware of what it's function was but now know. ] :cheers: :thankyou: Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Sods law............regarding my last post about the "Search Commands" tab, for no apparent reason it has disappeared from my tool bar,
any idea how to restore it please? :scratch: :thankyou: Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Click the big Office button.
Click Word Options at the bottom.
Select Add-Ins in the list of categories on the left hand side of the Word Options dialog.
Select COM Add-Ins from the Manage... dropdown, then click Go...
If Search Commands is not listed, you may have to reinstall it.
If it is listed, make sure that its check box is ticked, then click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.................thanks a million Hans,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,located the said box instantly, put a tick in it then selected OK BUT the "Search Commands" tab does not appear, on checking the said box again there is no tick in it......I've even done a Restart thinking that might solve the matter but it still shows unticked.....afraid it's back to your good self .....Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could try uninstalling the Search Commands add-in from the Programs and Features control panel, then reinstalling it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

After a lot of searching I found myself on Microsoft's Download page and simply stumbled on the "Microsoft 2007 Help Tab"; the free interactive download app that I originally posted about. I have availed myself of it but am inclined to think the "Search Commands" tab that disappeared from my tool bar would still be worth having so if you will pardon my terrible memory Hans, I would appreciate it if you can point me to the link from whence it can be downloaded seeing I have unistalled the one that refuses to respond. Many thanks Dave. :cheers:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Search Commands add-in can be downloaded from Office Labs: Search Commands.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

THANK you Hans, don't know what I would do without this treasure trove of assistance. It worked like clockwork....CHEERS Dave.