[Word 2013] Can you create cross-reference to [SEQ] field?

New Daddy
4StarLounger

[Word 2013] Can you create cross-reference to [SEQ] field?

Post by New Daddy »

Can you create a cross-reference to a [SEQ] field?

In the header of each page, I would like to refer to the first SEQ field and the last SEQ field appearing on that particular page. Such cross-reference is easily built if your trying to cross-refer to Styles or Word's built-in numbers (such as "Picture"), but not when it's a user-defined [SEQ] field.

HansV
Administrator

Re: [Word 2013] Can you create cross-reference to [SEQ] fiel

Post by HansV »

One option is to create a bookmark for each SEQ field that you want to refer to, and create cross references to the bookmarks.

See Cross-referencing a SEQ field for an extended discussion of this subject.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:One option is to create a bookmark for each SEQ field that you want to refer to, and create cross references to the bookmarks.

See Cross-referencing a SEQ field for an extended discussion of this subject.
Well, that only works if you know which specific SEQ field you want to cross-refer to.

In my scenario, nobody knows which SEQ field, because I just want to cross-refer to the first and last SEQ field that appear on that particular page.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think there is a solution for that.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does the following work for you?
- Create a character style named Seq. Either leave it set to the default paragraph font, or apply the font formatting that you want.
- Apply this style to all your SEQ fields (you could create a building block to insert a SEQ field with the correct identifier and the Seq style).
- Use a STYLEREF field in the header to refer to the first occurrence of the Seq style, and another STYLEREF field to refer to the last occurrence.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Adding to Hans's instructions: The first STYLEREF field needs to have no switch, which makes it search for the named character style from the top of the page downward. The second STYLEREF field needs a \l switch (that's a lower case ell) to make it search from the bottom of the page upward, to find the last instance of the style on the page.