[Word 2013] Assign to "Heading #" an outline level not #?

New Daddy
4StarLounger

[Word 2013] Assign to "Heading #" an outline level not #?

Post by New Daddy »

Is there any way to assign an outline level that doesn't correspond to the # of "Heading #" style?

[ The reason I want it is this: I use Word outline as a quick base for creating a Powerpoint slide, in which "Heading 1" corresponds to the title of a slide, and "Heading 2, 3, etc." correspond to the bullet points in the body text. Because I need a higher level slide -- such as a "New Section" slide -- than Heading 1, I would like to demote "Heading #" to lower levels than their # indicate, and create a couple of higher level styles. Unfortunately, Word doesn't seem to allow changing the Outline level of Heading # styles freely. ]

HansV
Administrator

Re: [Word 2013] Assign to "Heading #" an outline level not #

Post by HansV »

As you have found, the outline level of the Heading styles is fixed.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Modify the styles' definitions so that Heading 4 looks like Heading 3; Heading 3 looks like Heading 2; Heading 2 looks like Heading 1; and Heading 1 looks "bigger" or somehow more important. (If you're using Heading 5, 6, ... then extend the treatment.)

Now use a series of Replace All operations to replace all Heading 3s with Heading 4; replace Heading 2 with Heading 3; etc. This must be done in largest-number-to-smallest-number order to avoid losing the necessary information.

After you've replaced all Heading 1s with Heading 2, you can insert your top-level items with (now unused) Heading 1 style.

If all that sounds like too much work -- and I would think it is -- then just use the Word outline as is, create the PowerPoint presentation, and insert the extra slides manually with whatever formatting you like.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

Jay Freedman wrote:Modify the styles' definitions so that Heading 4 looks like Heading 3; Heading 3 looks like Heading 2; Heading 2 looks like Heading 1; and Heading 1 looks "bigger" or somehow more important. (If you're using Heading 5, 6, ... then extend the treatment.)
It won't work. Powerpoint uses Heading 1 as the title, and Heading 2 and below as bulleted-body text. In other words, Heading styles are reserved by Powerpoint for specific purpose.
If all that sounds like too much work -- and I would think it is -- then just use the Word outline as is, create the PowerPoint presentation, and insert the extra slides manually with whatever formatting you like.
I agree. that's the way to go.