[Word 2013] Does this table also make your Word crash?

New Daddy
4StarLounger

[Word 2013] Does this table also make your Word crash?

Post by New Daddy »

This is one of the weirdest problem I've faced.

Try to adjust the column width by dragging the border between any two adjacent columns.
Word immediately crashes.
What gives?
I'm simply speechless to witness such a huge glitch in the most basic function in the most recent version of Word.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

macropod
4StarLounger

Re: [Word 2013] Does this table also make your Word crash?

Post by macropod »

The most likely causes are a:
(1) faulty Office installation;
(2) corrupt document; and
(3) corrupt table.
For (1), try repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change).
For (2), corrupt documents can often be 'repaired' by inserting a new, empty, paragraph at the very end, copying everything except that new paragraph to a new document based on the same template (headers & footers may need to be copied separately), closing the old document and saving the new one over it.
For (3), corrupt tables can often be 'repaired' by converting the tables to text and back again or by saving the document in RTF format, closing the document then re-opening it and re-saving in the doc(x) format.

Since your problem seems to occur in a new document & table, (1) seems the most likely.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can change the column widths by dragging the borders without problems (Word 2013 SP1, 32-bits on Windows 8.1 Update, 64-bits):
S0285.png
S0286.png
So macropod's points 2 (corrupt document) and 3 (corrupt table) don't seem to apply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

I think I found the culprit.

I think it has to do with a little app that I use called MaxMax. It restricts the size of the maximized window. I've recently started using it, when I began to feel the maximized window spanning the entire 27" of my monitor was becoming unwieldy.

With MaxMax turned off, adjusting the column size doesn't make Word crash.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know it's not Word itself.
Best wishes,
Hans