Open a password protected file-don't know password

Donr
StarLounger

Open a password protected file-don't know password

Post by Donr »

I have a file that I created about 10 years ago and I password protected it, but can't remember the password now. Is there a way to bypass the password to open the file? I've tried changing the extension to .rtf and opening it in WordPad. the file opened, but it was all symbols and strange characters. No text that I could recognize.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Open a password protected file-don't know password

Post by HansV »

A password-protected file is encrypted, i.e. even if you can open it in another program, it'll look like gibberish.

If you search Google for word password recovery you'll find many tools that claim to be able to 'unlock' a protected document. Most of them are commercial, but some are free, see for example 3 Free Word Password Recovery Tools.

Keep in mind that you can only use such tools for documents that you're the legal owner of. Trying to unlock documents protected by others is generally illegal.
Best wishes,
Hans

Donr
StarLounger

Post by Donr »

Good reminder and Yes, I am the legal owner of the file. thanks for the resource.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

About 4 years ago I had to open an old Word document to which I too had forgotten the password. I had an idea of what it was but forgot what combo of case I used. After several attempts to open it (without success) I downloaded Free Word and Excel Password Recovery Wizard, the first one on Hans's list. I used the dictionary option which allows you to point the app to a text file with a concordance of possible passwords and test in various cases. The app successfully cracked my password and I was happy to be able to open my file and retrieve my contents.

Please note that these free apps only work on the old versions of Office files (versions from 2003 and backwards).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.