Word 2013 - custom style gallery?

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Word 2013 - custom style gallery?

Post by IanWilson »

I'm sorry it's been so long since I was here. I know - I only show up when I want something! :grin:

We've just been upgraded to Office 2013 (from Office 2003) at work. I am updating the templates we use for exam papers. I have created a custom tab on the ribbon (called EXAM), and I have inserted a custom gallery of building blocks with what are basically some autotext entries.

QUESTION 1: Can I make that EXAM tab only appear in the Exam Paper template, instead of all the time?

I have also added the Style Gallery to the EXAM tab, so it now appears on both the HOME tab and the EXAM tab. What I would like to be able to do is show just a limited selection of styles in the style gallery on the EXAM tab, so that users are encouraged to use only the approved ones.

QUESTION 2: I know that I can remove styles from the gallery, but is there any way of removing them from the copy of the Style Gallery that is on the EXAM tab without also removing them from the main Style Gallery on the HOME tab?

Ian

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word 2013 - custom style gallery?

Post by HansV »

Hi Ian,

1. You need to add a CustomUI component to the template to customize the ribbon for that template only. The Word interface only lets you apply global customizations.
2. With CustomUI, you can do (almost) everything you want.

See Customize the Word Ribbon User Interface by Greg Maxey (a former Word MVP).
Best wishes,
Hans

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Thanks, Hans.

I suspect that this will not work because our IT is so locked down that I don't think I will be able to install the CustomUI editor.

Ian

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Pity, there is no other way...
Best wishes,
Hans

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

HansV wrote:Pity, there is no other way...
I will look into it, when I am at work tomorrow, but I suspect the answer is no.

Thanks.

Ian