Remove formatting from TOC

Rudi
gamma jay

Remove formatting from TOC

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

In that article I am writing I have standard Header Styles throughout my document and it generates a TOC as per normal.

In some heading styles I have added additional formatting like bold or colour directly onto the heading (not saved into the style) just to emphasize the font in the document, but the question is how to prevent it from displaying in the TOC? Is it possible to modify the TOC field codes to not display the customized font formatting in the TOC so all the font displays the same?

The current field code of the TOC in the screenshot below is as follows: {TOC \n "2-3" \h \z \u}

BTW: I am aware that I can select the TOC and press CTRL+Spacebar to remove the formatting, but each time I update the TOC the custom formatting returns and I have to CTRL+Spacebar again. I can live with it, but just inquiring if the formatting can be removed without having to do this all the time.

TX
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Remove formatting from TOC

Post by Rudi »

On further Googling and investigation, it seems that this is not possible.
The forced formatting applied over the Heading Style will apparently always be sucked up into the TOC.

I am still hoping there is a trick to this limitation though...

My sources confirming the above...

-- Formatting Headings for Inclusion in a Table of Contents
-- Problems with TOC Styles
Regards,
Rudi

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

You could add a Charformat switch to the TOC field code, but that would force all TOC entries to have a common format (e.g. same font regardless of heading level).
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Thanks Paul. This is actually perfect.
I don't really need heading level styles except that the second level indents slightly, which it still maintains with the advice you gave.
I'd say this is a great solution. :cheers:

The updated field code is now: {TOC \n "2-3" \h \z \u \*Charformat}

The updated TOC with your fix looks like this:
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi