Word 2010 Synonym Option Missing

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Word 2010 Synonym Option Missing

Post by hlewton »

In Word 2010 my option to find Synonyms came up missing. I found the solution on the NET of how to get it back but found nothing telling me how this problem could be avoided in the future or what caused it in the first place. The easiest way to get it back, which is what I did, was to delete the Normal.dotm, close word and restart it. Sure enough that brought back the option to use synonyms again but as expected the default font I like to use was gone and had to be reset. I’d prefer this doesn’t happen again but have no idea how to avoid it. Any suggestions what can be done to not have the Synonym option disappear again?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Word 2010 Synonym Option Missing

Post by Rudi »

Two things I picked up regarding this... (just my :2cents: )

1. Language settings can prevent the thesaurus from showing on right click. This can even be paragraph dependent (based on the language set for that paragraph)
2. It can be style dependent. Some styles (like Header/Footer styles do not have the thesaurus option. Change the paragraph style back to normal body text and the thesaurus will be back).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Two things I picked up regarding this... (just my :2cents: )

1. Language settings can prevent the thesaurus from showing on right click. This can even be paragraph dependent (based on the language set for that paragraph)
2. It can be style dependent. Some styles (like Header/Footer styles do not have the thesaurus option. Change the paragraph style back to normal body text and the thesaurus will be back).
Thank you but I just want to say and I'll number it to go along with your reply.
1: I never use anything but the English setting that, I assume, is my default because I have never seen or used any other setting.
2. I don't change styles or even, at this time, know how to do that. I just opened Word to see if I could readily see anything that told me the style used had been changed and I could identify anything. Again, I know I didn't consciously make any style changes.

See attachment.
Word.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Do you by any chance have two versions of Word installed on your PC?

Another question:
Is this the first time it has happened or is this a common occurrence?
I wouldn't fuss to much if it's a once off. (It might never occur again). If it starts doing this regularly I'd start to look for solutions and patterns.
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Do you by any chance have two versions of Word installed on your PC?

Another question:
Is this the first time it has happened or is this a common occurrence?
I wouldn't fuss to much if it's a once off. (It might never occur again). If it starts doing this regularly I'd start to look for solutions and patterns.
Rudi I don't have two versions of Word on this machine, or any other for that matter. The only version of Office that was ever installed on this computer was Office 2010 the day I brought it home.

This is the first time I have ever noticed this happening but I do not use Word's synonym checker all that often. I did this time because I just wanted to make sure I was using a word correctly and that is when I noticed that it was missing. However, I believe in the past I did use it at least once and that is why I was pretty sure it once was there. That is when I searched the NET to see I am not alone in this problem.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

I don't have any more suggestions so I trust one of the Word gurus would be able to take over with some possible solutions/advice....
Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Hi,

I don't have any more suggestions so I trust one of the Word gurus would be able to take over with some possible solutions/advice....
Cheers
I appreciate it. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I have checked Word 2010 every day since posting and fixing this problem and it still seems to be working. But I still have no idea why it quit in the first place.
Regards,
hlewton