How long has this been available?

Rudi
gamma jay

How long has this been available?

Post by Rudi »

Since when has these options been available.
I cannot recall it being there before?
S11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: How long has this been available?

Post by HansV »

It has been available at least since Word 2000, but I think that the Justify button only offers this dropdown menu if you have enabled support for Arabic.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:laugh: In my attempts to help jmt356 late last week, I did activate the Arabic language in Word.
Its a pretty neat feature and could be great to use in standard documentation.
I did find this page that confirms your reply...: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 58100.aspx
S11.jpg
PS: I found the button in the All Commands of the Customize QAT. If however I add it to the QAT and remove the Arabic Language, the button remains there but becomes inactive :sad:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It is possible to add buttons for the individual Justify types to the ribbon and/or QAT:
S10.png
They will work, although (in Word 2010 at least) the buttons aren't always highlighted correctly.
You can also apply the Justify types through VBA, by setting the Alignment property of paragraphs to wdAlignParagraphJustifyLow, wdAlignParagraphJustifyMed or wdAlignParagraphJustifyHi. The effect of wdAlignParagraphJustifyLow is the same as that of wdAlignParagraphJustify.

I'm not convinced that Medium and High work well with western text:
S11.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Thanks for this detail.
I agree, the spread for standard text is a bit much.

Before you informed that its an other language feature, I had the impression that it could be used to control the spacing between the text to help avoid the scenarios when you have justified text between two fairly narrow margins (like in columned text, or between wrapped pictures). Often then the justified text jumps out of proportions and one gets a very wide spread between two words. My impressions were that it could correct this by providing control between the spacing and so avoiding that excessive spread of words in narrow margins.

Obviously it is not strictly intended for this, but maybe the possibility still exists to resolve the above scenario with a controlled spread of the wording.
Theory still to be tested....
Regards,
Rudi

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

For problem paragraphs you might also try Ctrl-Shift-J.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Woah...
That really spreads it around.... :grin:

I understand that it's an option to try on a possible problem paragraph, and the result might be satisfactory, but the only issue I have with it is that the last line really gets distorted.
1.jpg
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When you set the alignment to one of the Justify options, all lines are filled out except for the last line of each paragraph.

When you set the alignment to Distributed using Ctrl+Shift+J (or through VBA), all lines are filled out including the last line of each paragraph. Most people don't like the result, but for reasons unknown to me, some users insist on it.
Best wishes,
Hans

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

Depending on how your Word layout options are set, pressing Shift-Return on the last line in a justified paragraph may cause that line to justify as well. Of course, this effectively shifts the true end of the paragraph down on more line.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX Paul.
Appreciate the input. :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi