Word 2007 - dynamic word forms checkbox or command button

diana
3StarLounger

Word 2007 - dynamic word forms checkbox or command button

Post by diana »

I’ve created a command button Add Land.

Workflow:
Users click button ‘Add Land’, the result is a building blocks inserted to enter additional land title details.
The building blocks are designed as a table cell.
On the top right hand corner I’ve added a checkbox.
When users click the X, the results are table cell deleted.

A few blockages and questions:

The checkbox Run Macro on Exit - how can I set this. – screen capture in green highlight

As an alternative I've created a command button, added a picture of X – screen capture in yellow highlight

Is the best & easier method a checkbox, or command button.

When the building blocks inserted, Word automatically names the checkbox and /or command button.
For example the original command buttons name is cmdDeleteLand
Insert a building block, the new command button name is cmdDeleteLand1
Insert a 2nd building block, the new command button name is cmdDeleteLand2

What’s the best way to capture the events of the current command button, as I wont know the exact command button name

For example the current code is this:

Private Sub cmdDeleteLand_Click()
Selection.SelectCell
Selection.Cells.Delete ShiftCells:=wdDeleteCellsShiftLeft
End Sub

Private Sub cmdDeleteLand1_Click()
Selection.SelectCell
Selection.Cells.Delete ShiftCells:=wdDeleteCellsShiftLeft
End Sub

TIA dd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word 2007 - dynamic word forms checkbox or command butt

Post by HansV »

If you have assigned a Macro on Exit to the check box in the building block, it will be assigned to each instance that the user inserts into the document.
If you want to assign a macro programmatically, you can do something like

Code: Select all

With Selection.FormFields(1)
        .ExitMacro = "Test"
    End With
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Some thoughts:

Instead of a check box (which requires the user to click and then exit to fire the exit macro) or an ActiveX command button (which requires a unique name and a unique code procedure for each one), it's better to place a MacroButton field in the building block. The display text of the field can be a check box from the Wingdings font, or text like "Remove cell", and it can be given a border and background shade so it looks like a button.

Let each MacroButton field (or check box, if you want to stay with those) call the same macro -- don't try to change procedure names on the fly! Inside that one macro, you can get the cell that contains the item that was clicked, and delete it:

Dim oCell as Word.Cell
Set oCell = Selection.Cells(1)
oCell.Delete

The attached document demonstrates the technique.

The default for a MacroButton field is to require a double-click to execute the macro, but an AutoOpen macro can set Options.ButtonFieldClicks = 1 to change that. (You might also want an AutoClose macro that sets it back to 2.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

Thank you Hans and Jay

I looked at both suggestions and both solutions worked.

I used Jays method as it was easier and simpler to implement.

Many thanks again :clapping:

dd

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

Hi again,

Using Option buttons I’ve hit the same blockage. see screen capture

The first table option buttons work, due to code running on unique option button names. eg
optIndividual
optCorporation

I create a building block based on Mortgagee table, that includes several option button groups.

When the building blocks inserted into the document, the result is default names are given to the new option button eg

optIndividual2
optCorporation2

optIndividual21
optCorporation21

I wont know the option button names, or how manys option buttons are inserted.
Is there a standard click event for option buttons, that I can capture to run on any option button selected.
Is it possible to do something similar with the checkbox macrofield, and run on option buttons

TIA dd

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

As I mentioned in passing before, ActiveX controls (which those option buttons are) require a unique name and a unique code procedure for each one. That makes them unsuitable for use in building blocks. One alternative is to use a dropdown (either a content control or a form field, though the latter then requires forms protection which could make the rest of the form a nightmare). For the content controls, you can write code in the Document_ContentControlOnExit event handler in the ThisDocument module, which fires whenever the focus leaves any content control. An argument to the event handler will tell you which control was just exited, so you can find out its value.

Another possibility, a bit more complex to program but appearing like real option buttons, is shown on a page at Greg Maxey's site.

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

Thanks Jay

Yes Im familiar with and have used Document_ContentControlOnExit event handler in the ThisDocument

Yes Ive come across Greg Maxeys site before – its informative. He’s using Word 2010, I’m using Word 2007 which means checkbox content controls aren’t available in 2007.

I think I need to go back to the drawing board…

Many thanks again Jay, dd