Word 2013 (Office 365) Default Folder

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Word 2013 (Office 365) Default Folder

Post by hlewton »

I have Word 2013 from Office 365 and have changed the default storage folder to my local hard drive in the My Documents folder. I don't know why it doesn't seem to be working but when I try saving a new file I get what you see in the attachment. Shouldn't it be saving directly the the folder I chose as the default storage folder without bring up this screen causing more mouse clicks to be necessary? How do I correct it?

Thanks
Save.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word 2013 (Office 365) Default Folder

Post by HansV »

This is a major peeve with Office 2013. In a failed attempt to make opening and saving easier for people who have never before used Office applications (and who don't know about default folders), they have made it more complicated for everyone else.

You can press F12 to open the Save As dialog directly to your default local file location, and Ctrl+F12 to open the Open dialog to that folder.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:This is a major peeve with Office 2013. In a failed attempt to make opening and saving easier for people who have never before used Office applications (and who don't know about default folders), they have made it more complicated for everyone else.

You can press F12 to open the Save As dialog directly to your default local file location, and Ctrl+F12 to open the Open dialog to that folder.
The more I use this Office 2013 the more I dislike it. I won't go into the reasons now but I do have another question. When I press F12 it guesses the file name and offers to save it in My Docs folder. When I press Ctrl + F12 it takes me to the same folder but doesn't offer a suggested file name. Is that what is meant by "open the Open dialog to that folder"?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ctrl+F12 is meant to open an already existing document. Since the "Open" dialog is not clairvoyant, it doesn't know in advance which document you want to open, so it cannot suggest a file name.

F12 is meant to save the currently open document, displaying the "Save As" dialog. If the currently open document already exists on disk, the "Save As" dialog will suggest the current filename. If it is a new document that has never been saved yet, a name will be suggested based on the first paragraph of the document.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks I should have understood that but I had some sort of mental block.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I am still having problems with where I have Office 365 store documents or files as a default location. I am including a screen shot of my settings which I believe tells Office 365 to store the files on my computer in the My Documents folder as the default yet every time I create a file I have to make the 2 choices again of my computer and My Documents folder before the file can be saved. Do I have some setting wrong or missing another setting somewhere that will make Office 365 understand I do not ever want to store anything off site in the clouds and that when I click save it should immediately save that file to the My Documents folder on my computer?

Thanks
Save.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I would recommend ticking the check box "Don't show the Backstage when opening or saving files".

Still, when you select File > Save As, you will always get the screen shown in the first post in this thread, so you'll have to select the location. This annoys most users of Office 2013/365, but there is no way to change it.

It's better to press the function key F12. This will directly display the Save As dialog in the folder specified as the "Default local file location", or in the folder where you most recently saved a document during the current session.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans I will make that change right now. I sure will try to remember that F12 too. I just checked it out and it works great. I had never known about that before so thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That F12 shortcut is going to get a lot of use here, thank you.
StuartR