[Word 2013] Formatting undone by Word + "undo" grayed out!

New Daddy
4StarLounger

[Word 2013] Formatting undone by Word + "undo" grayed out!

Post by New Daddy »

This is a really weird experience, one I've never had with previous versions of Word.

I don't know what triggered this (I may have pressed Ctrl+S to save), but some of the character/paragraph formatting that I've applied are gone, and, to add insult to injury, the "undo" button is grayed out.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

HansV
Administrator

Re: [Word 2013] Formatting undone by Word + "undo" grayed ou

Post by HansV »

Do you have any add-ins installed? Some add-ins cause weird behavior.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:Do you have any add-ins installed? Some add-ins cause weird behavior.
Yes, I do have a few add-ins.

I also suspect that the fact that the style was designated as a "paragraph style" rather than "font & paragraph" style may have had to do with it, although it doesn't explain why paragraph formatting, not just font formatting was also undone.
I really can't wrap my head around this paragraph style vs. font/paragraph style. In previous versions of Word, a "style" contained more than just font properties and paragraph properties; there were border/shade properties and bullet point properties too.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If the problem occurs again, you might try disabling the add-ins temporarily.
Best wishes,
Hans

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Do you have Automatically update document styles turned on? Tools > Templates & Addins > make sure box at the top is unchecked.

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

kdock wrote:Do you have Automatically update document styles turned on? Tools > Templates & Addins > make sure box at the top is unchecked.

Kim
No. I suspected it at first too.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

This is part of a more general problem: saving the document sometimes clears the "undo" stack! This is really unnerving, because I press Ctrl+S out of habit, to prevent loss of hours of work. I understand that some Office apps -- Excel does that, right? -- clears the undo stack when you save the file, but Word never had that bad behavior.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I've never had Word 2013 clear the undo stack on saving. It just doesn't. The only action native to Word (any version) that clears the stack is unprotecting a legacy form.

However, like the style change, it could be something done by an add-in. That explanation is especially likely if it happens only when certain (unknown to you) conditions exist, which would appear as a "random" event. As an extreme example, I could write a very short macro that clears the undo stack only when you save a document after 5:00 PM on Thursdays. [Hmm... :evilgrin: ]

So do follow Hans's advice to disable add-ins, and then be aware of the state of the undo stack each time you save. If it still empties occasionally, try to isolate whatever might be common to those occurrences -- type of document, contents of the document, what actions you did recently, etc.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

I agree with Jay Freedman, something you've got running in the background is clearing your undo stack. I use code that does this deliberately, but not invisibly. It's probably some routine that's "cleaning up" after itself. Well-meaning, but ultimately destructive.

If you can correlate the undo problem with one of the add-ins, you'll have a better idea on how to proceed. You may find it's being generated by an add-in you can't live without. If you share them with the lounge, we might recognize it...

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

kdock wrote:I agree with Jay Freedman, something you've got running in the background is clearing your undo stack. I use code that does this deliberately, but not invisibly. It's probably some routine that's "cleaning up" after itself. Well-meaning, but ultimately destructive.

If you can correlate the undo problem with one of the add-ins, you'll have a better idea on how to proceed. You may find it's being generated by an add-in you can't live without. If you share them with the lounge, we might recognize it...

Kim
When you say "add-ins", you mean the ones under the "Developer"-Add ins, right? Both "(template and) Add Ins" and "Com Add ins"?

Ok, I'll do what everyone suggested.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Yes. Misread 2013 -- thought it was 2003. I've gotta get my eyes checked!

Developer Tab > Templates Group > Document Template button.