Can't find the custom dictionary file in Word 2013

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Can't find the custom dictionary file in Word 2013

Post by New Daddy »

By having both my home computer's and work computer's Word point to the same Dropbox folder, I tried to synchronize the custom dictionary file. (I've been synchronizing Word templates in this manner for quite a while.)
Not knowing where the custom dictionary files reside, I googled and found the following tip from HowToGeek: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/microsof ... ictionary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Usually they are very reliable, but this time, I can't find any file in the folder that my Word 2013 says it saves custom dictionary files. (I've added custom words to the dictionary for sure.)

What am I missing? Where should I look?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can't find the custom dictionary file in Word 2013

Post by HansV »

The AppData folder in your user profile is a hidden folder, so in order to see it, you must show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer / File Explorer.

Windows Vista/7: in Windows Explorer, click Organize > Folder and Search Options.
Windows 8/8.1: In File Explorer, activate the View tab of the ribbon and click Options > Change Folder and Search Options.

Activate the View tab.
Under Hidden Files, select 'Show hidden files, folders and drives'.
Click OK.

You should now be able to find Custom.dic in C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Re: Can't find the custom dictionary file in Word 2013

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:The AppData folder in your user profile is a hidden folder, so in order to see it, you must show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer / File Explorer.

Windows Vista/7: in Windows Explorer, click Organize > Folder and Search Options.
Windows 8/8.1: In File Explorer, activate the View tab of the ribbon and click Options > Change Folder and Search Options.

Activate the View tab.
Under Hidden Files, select 'Show hidden files, folders and drives'.
Click OK.

You should now be able to find Custom.dic in C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof.
Duh.. I feel so dumb this time.. such a gross oversight.
Thanks!