Revisions by same author showing in different color

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Revisions by same author showing in different color

Post by New Daddy »

All I've done is upgrade the document format from DOC to DOCX -- which may or may not have caused this -- and now the revisions are showing in a different color, as if the author was different. It's the same computer and the same Word, without any changes to the author information.

What should I do to correct this?

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Revisions by same author showing in different color

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

See if this setting is active...
File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Setting > Privacy Options > Under 'Document Specific Settings' > Uncheck “Remove personal information from file properties on save”. In Word 2010, the “Remove personal information...” option will get activated by Word if a user removes personal information. Since the reviewers' names are considered personal information, they're removed and replaced by the anonymous "Author".
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

Rudi wrote:Hi,

File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Setting > Privacy Options > Under 'Document Specific Settings' > Uncheck “Remove personal information from file properties on save”. In Word 2010, the “Remove personal information...” option will get activated by Word if a user removes personal information. Since the reviewers' names are considered personal information, they're removed and replaced by the anonymous "Author".
The "Remove personal information from file properties.." option is already unchecked.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:Hi,

I don't see those options when I follow your path suggestions, Rudi.

This . . .
Word Privacy.jpg
. . . is what I see displayed. Are Word 2010's offered menus interactive and interdependent on how one navigates to them? I don't understand why I do not see the option to remove author identification data.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

I see its greyed out on your PC.
Its just above the Document Inspector... button
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:Hi Bob,

Why would that be? Is it dependent on another option?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

Rudi wrote:Hi Bob,

As a matter of fact, that option is greyed out unchecked on my computer too.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If you run the document inspector and then go back to the Trust Center, that check box will now be active.
However, it does not unfortunately seem to be the cause of New Daddy's issue. :sorry:
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

From the help for the Pivacy Options dialog:
The Remove personal information from file properties on save option is disabled in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word and enabled for Publisher and SharePoint Designer.

For the programs with the option disabled, the option is available only if you are working with a document that was created in an earlier version of Office, and you used this option in that version to remove personal information. To remove personal information from this document, click Inspect Document.
In other words, "Remove personal information from file properties on save" is a legacy option. For documents created in Word 2007 and later, it has been replaced with the Inspect Document option.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

I knew that there must be a reason for the option being inoperable.

I discovered that by clicking File > Info that metadata is displayed in a panel at the right of the screen:
metadata.jpg
The editable elements are grayed out in my example but might contain metadata which can be edited in this panel.

???? Why are my screenshots so blurred? ?????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try saving the screenshot as .png instead of as .jpg (immediately after taking the screenshot).
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I'll give that a try! Thanks, Hans!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)