Word 2010 Proofing

PaulW
2StarLounger

Word 2010 Proofing

Post by PaulW »

I am using the phrase IRC 501(c)(3) several times in various documents. I cannot get the proofing function to stop highlighting the close parenthesis and the following open parenthesis. It insists that it needs a space in between the parentheses. I am using Mail-Merge and it constantly stops because of this proofing "error".

I have tried adding it to my dictionary, adding a private dictionary and so far nothing has worked.

TIA
PaulW
Lost Wages, NV USA
(former Cobol Programmer)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word 2010 Proofing

Post by HansV »

The )( is seen as a grammar error. If you turn off "Check grammar with spelling" in File > Options > Proofing, you shouldn't have the problem.
S0841.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I still could not get this blue line out with that suggestion? I have to actually switch off "Mark grammar errors as you type" to get those line removed. Of course this applies to ALL grammar errors. Unfortunately there is no option for exceptions in grammer like there is with autocorrect.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Word still displays the blue underlining, but performing a spell check doesn't stop at the )( any more.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Oh, excellent. Didn't realize that.
TX. :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You can do a global replace of
IRC 501(c)(3)
with the same phrase but the proofing language set to "Do not check spelling or grammar".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

PaulW
2StarLounger

Post by PaulW »

I want to thank all who offered suggestions. I am not sure which one I used, but my problem has been solved at least for the moment. I hope that I have not opened Pandora's box by making this/these changes.
PaulW
Lost Wages, NV USA
(former Cobol Programmer)