The Foo Has Abandoned Me Today (Again)

BobH
UraniumLounger

The Foo Has Abandoned Me Today (Again)

Post by BobH »

Recently someone posted asking how to making text taken from screenshots more readable/legible. I think it was Rudi who responded with instructions on how to past the text into Word (?) and use its features to clean up the text.

I now have an immediate need for that information but cannot find the post using search.

Could someone please tell me where to find it.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Last edited by Leif on 05 Jun 2014, 06:13, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to the Word Forum
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: The Foo Has Abandoned Me Today (Again)

Post by Rudi »

It is here...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Rudi!

I'm having trouble following the instructions. This is probably due to my inexperience with and ignorance of Word 2010.

Your instructions say to crop the image found on the FORMAT menu. I cannot find the FORMAT tab.

At the start, this is the menu and ribbon I see while in the HOME tab:
Ribbon1.jpg
There is no FORMAT menu choice in the HOME tab; so I clicked the FILE tab giving this view (still with no FORMAT menu choice):
Ribbon2.jpg
I then tried selecting the image in my file and looking at the FILE tab and get this (again with no FORMAT menu choice):
Ribbon3.jpg
There is something about the navigation that I do not understand (I think), or my version of Word is weird.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :clapping:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Hey! I know... you need to add the Format tab. Here's a screen shot.

Open Word. Go to File, then look down and find Options. Go to Customize Ribbon. You'll see two long-ish boxes on the right. On the left hand side, use the drop down and choose All Tabs. You should see a Format Tab available as an optional tab... choose it and add it to the right hand side (the tabs you currently have). Then say OK. When you look at your list of tabs, you'll see a Format one there now.
format tab.jpg
hope that helps. I'm so happy I could actually answer a question!! Yay!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anne

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

AHA! I discovered that the menu options change depending on whether one single clicks or double clicks on the image to select it. Double clicking gave me the ribbon I needed to find the Crop tool and it became much easier from there.

Again, thank you for the help, Rudi!

Anne, thank you for the info on customizing the ribbon. I have much to learn but use Word only infrequently and then mostly just for writing prose with limited formatting required.

I did as you suggested choosing File > Options > Customize Ribbon. I found that there was already a Format (Custom) in the right hand box of selected options; so I deleted it and clicked OK. I then went back to File > Options > Customize Ribbon and found many incidences of Format in the left-side box. I chose 3 of them and added them to the right-side box. Now I have the Format Tab choice but when selected, the ribbon colors are gone. It displays only in shades of gray.

:scratch:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

The Word Art Styles should be use-able...
If you insert a Text Box, you can also format what's in it and the appearance of the box.
I wonder if a True Word Guru can tell us why the rest of the Format tab is grey. Mine is, too, except the Word Art Styles part.
Anne

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hey Bob and Anne...
Sorry for keeping you hanging on this... I was spending some time with family :smile:

There is no need to go to File > Options and add a Format Tab to Words ribbon. The Format tab I referred to is actually a "Contextual Tab" which appears automatically when you select a picture. Notice my two screen shots. The first is Words ribbon without the Picture Tools (Format Tab). The second is with the Format tab since I have a picture selected in the image. The tab appears the moment you select the image, and disappears when you deselect the image. This contextual ribbon provides all the tools for working with an image...and all the tools are available from it as in my previous instructions for enlarging a screen-print of text.

Hope that is clearer.

Anne: Regarding your question. If you have added a toolbar or ribbon, the tools that are grayed out will become available when you select something in context with it. In the case with a text box, the tools that are grayed out do not have any context with a text box, but maybe if you select a picture they will be come available.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Rudi!

That is what I was expecting except that when I selected the image in my Word file I did not get the Format tab. If I double clicked (or may it was right clicked) the image, the Format tab appeared. A single click would not do it for me.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

What you say is quite unusual?
Certainly not the "normal" way the app should work.
The contextual ribbons should usually appear the moment you select the image (or item connected to the tab).

Anyways...I assume you came right with your initial query?
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote: ...
Anyways...I assume you came right with your initial query?
Yes I did finish the file as I wanted it.

Thanks
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

YAY!
Hope you were enjoying time with family, Rudi!
Anne

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

In a similar vein as the question about using Word's features from the ribbon, I am frustrated by the fact that I cannot do single click editing from the ribbon.

For example, I always want to know how many words are in any document I write. I also want to know if the grammar is good, eg, if I use the passive voice without intent, and what the Flesch-Kincaid level is for what I've written.

I know how to do these things, but I was wondering if I could modify the ribbon and add buttons for each of these functions instead within the Home tab.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

BobH wrote:... I was wondering if I could modify the ribbon and add buttons for each of these functions instead within the Home tab.
Bob,

Are using the Quick Access Toolbar? I've put many standard buttons and added a few features by macro to the QAT, then moved it BELOW THE RIBBON for easier access:

(I'd attach an image but I'm challenged in that respect :sad: )
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

There's character count:
character count.jpg
and then there's word count:
word count.jpg
Would either of those help?
Anne

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The status bar (at the bottom of the Word window) can show the word count for the whole document continuously, or for any selected piece of it.

If you don't see that item on the status bar, right-click the status bar and click to put a check next to "Word count" in the list of things you can display:

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Excellent!!!
Anne

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:I also want to know if the grammar is good, eg, if I use the passive voice without intent, and what the Flesch-Kincaid level is for what I've written.
Hey Bob,

See this web page about how to review the documents readability with Flesch-Kincaid level in Word:
http://www.gilsmethod.com/test-document ... -word-2010
Regards,
Rudi