File Hyperlink from {SEQ} field (Word 2000)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

File Hyperlink from {SEQ} field (Word 2000)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This has been rattling around my head for a day or two, but I'm staring at a brick wall.

I reason that it ought to be possible to produce a hyperlink to a file where the hyperlink target (the file name) is based on a {SEQ} field.

I could be wrong.
I could be wrong about the {SEQ} - I use it a lot and am rather fond of it.
Attached is a Word 2000 document with a small table.

If I duplicate the "2010_04.xls" into the cell below it, I will see the value "2010_05.xls" appear - straightforward use of the {SEQ} field.
I'd like to be able to duplicate the "T:\Greaves\Admin\2010\2010_04.xls" into the cell below it, and see "T:\Greaves\Admin\2010\2010_05.xls" appear as a hyperlink to the May 2010 expenses workbook.

If anyone was looking for a challenge for the weekend, here it is, I hope!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

StuartR
Administrator

Re: File Hyperlink from {SEQ} field (Word 2000)

Post by StuartR »

ChrisGreaves wrote:...If anyone was looking for a challenge for the weekend, here it is, I hope!
This comes close to working. The hyperlinks are all correct, but for some reason the displayed text is wrong.
Hyperlinks.png
HlinkSEQ.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:This comes close to working.
Stuart this is Brilliant!

Here's a very slight enhancement, with a two-digit formatting in place to generate a 2-digit month number.
I manually edited each hyperlink to remove the "Text To Display" items and the document displays the file name correctly, but of course I am now left puzzling as to how to inhibit the "Text To Display" on generation of the hyperlink.

Not that it would do me much good.

I discovered that with the "Text To Display" deleted, saving then reloading the file resulted in a "fixed" hyperlink, with the {SEQ} removed. Of course, my idea is/was that I would just copy/paste a hyperlink field to the foot of the table and obtain a hyperlink to the next month's workbook file.

Very odd.

I have an advantage over you in that I have a set of four expense files so far this month, and can effect a test by clicking on the hyperlink and seeing which file opens.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You might ask your question in the Windows Secrets Lounge - macropod will probably have the solution.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Chris - unfortunately, he is going on long-service leave or something April 19, and will be gone for most of the rest of the year on an Australian walk-about. So post your question quickly.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Wendell wrote:... long-service leave or something April 19,
NOBODY goes on leave without my permission!

(Thanks Wendell, I already sent him a PM earlier this morning)