Hitting spacebar inside a field indents the field

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Hitting spacebar inside a field indents the field

Post by New Daddy »

This is driving me crazy. Hitting spacebar inside a field indents the field, rather than inserting a space. This may have to do with the new installation of Word 2013, as I don't remember seeing this kind of behavior before.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Hitting spacebar inside a field indents the field

Post by Jay Freedman »

New Daddy wrote:This is driving me crazy. Hitting spacebar inside a field indents the field, rather than inserting a space. This may have to do with the new installation of Word 2013, as I don't remember seeing this kind of behavior before.
What kind of field is it? And if it's a form field, is the document protected or not?

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

Jay Freedman wrote:
New Daddy wrote:This is driving me crazy. Hitting spacebar inside a field indents the field, rather than inserting a space. This may have to do with the new installation of Word 2013, as I don't remember seeing this kind of behavior before.
What kind of field is it? And if it's a form field, is the document protected or not?
No, just plain fields { }.. It happens with any kind of fields, but I was specifically having trouble with {TOC}.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Sorry, I'm not seeing that behavior in Word 2013. Here's a {FILENAME} field with spaces typed between the letters:

and here's a TOC with the same treatment:

The only thing I know of that might behave that way is, in Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options > AutoFormat As You Type, to check "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces", but then you'd have to be pressing the Tab key and not the spacebar to make it take effect.