Make a list of section references clickable

Robie
5StarLounger

Make a list of section references clickable

Post by Robie »

Hi

I have several documents (will get several more on a regular basis) where I have to insert cross references in a table to the changes in the document. I know the section numbers that have changed which I insert in a table. All I need is to make these references in the table 'clickable', i.e. the user can click on reference 2.5.1 (in my table) & it take the user to section 2.5.1. Doing this manually is not only time consuming but kills brain cells as well.

Is there an easy way to do this? I have put in page numbers for my use at the moment but not necessary. I would be grateful for any ideas as this is killing me to boredom.
listopreferences.png
Thanks.

Robie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Make a list of section references clickable

Post by HansV »

Do you have a heading paragraph at the beginning of each section?

If so, you can insert a cross reference to that heading; this will by default act as a hyperlink.

If not, you could create a bookmark at the beginning of each section, and insert a cross reference to the bookmark.
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

Thanks for quick response Hans.

To answer you first question: The list of sections in the example are all either Heading 2 or Heading 3. I know, I can manually update my table by setting the cross reference to each section number - I was looking if there was any way to automate this task.

Perhaps, run a macro to go through this table to section numbers & it would then insert the correct section cross reference, i.e. if it finds 9.3 then it inserts a 'cross reference/hyperlink to section 9.3', which is a Heading 2 paragraph.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It seems to me that inserting cross references is not much more work than typing in the section numbers...
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:It seems to me that inserting cross references is not much more work than typing in the section numbers...
Ok. Thanks Hans. I will leave it at that then.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could assign a keyboard shortcut to the Insert Cross Reference command, so that you don't have to go to the menu/ribbon each time.
Best wishes,
Hans