Where are keyboard shortcuts stored? How do you copy?

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Where are keyboard shortcuts stored? How do you copy?

Post by New Daddy »

I thought keyboard shortcut customizations are stored in Normal.Dot and made available to all templates.
But some of my documents based on non-Normal.dot definitely behave differently, as if they have their own set of keyboard shortcuts. It is definitely possible because keyboard shortcuts can be set up through the Style dialog box, and Styles are governed by Templates, not the System.

Where exactly are keyboard shortcuts stored? What do you do if you want to copy keyboard shortcuts from one template (document) to another? (I don't see keyboard shortcuts as movable item on "Organizer". MS should have included keyboard shortcuts in the Organizer, I think.)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Where are keyboard shortcuts stored? How do you copy?

Post by HansV »

Custom keyboard shortcuts can be stored in

1) Global templates such as Normal.dot(m) - these will be available in all documents
2) Document templates - these will be available in all documents based on the template.
3) Individual documents.

If the same keyboard shortcut has been assigned in more than one of the above, 3) has precedence above 2) and 2) above 1).
So if you have assigned Ctrl+Alt+G to macro A in a document and also to macro B in Normal.dot, pressing Ctrl+Alt+G will execute macro A in that document.

Word itself doesn't offer any means to transfer keyboard shortcuts. You can get a free add-in "keyboard shortcuts organizer" from Other Download Pages on Charles Kenyon's website (lots of other useful stuff there too!)
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:Custom keyboard shortcuts can be stored in

1) Global templates such as Normal.dot(m) - these will be available in all documents
2) Document templates - these will be available in all documents based on the template.
3) Individual documents.

If the same keyboard shortcut has been assigned in more than one of the above, 3) has precedence above 2) and 2) above 1).
So if you have assigned Ctrl+Alt+G to macro A in a document and also to macro B in Normal.dot, pressing Ctrl+Alt+G will execute macro A in that document.

Word itself doesn't offer any means to transfer keyboard shortcuts. You can get a free add-in "keyboard shortcuts organizer" from Other Download Pages on Charles Kenyon's website (lots of other useful stuff there too!)
Thanks! Very useful information.

So basically, Word treats keyboard shortcuts exactly the same as macros, as far as the "storage hierarchy" is concerned. I wonder why it doesn't provide a transfer measure for keyboard shortcuts. Doesn't exactly make sense.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:Custom keyboard shortcuts can be stored in

3) Individual documents.

Is the "keyboard shortcuts organizer" still supposed to work post-Word 2003? I get stuck at "frmSco.Show".

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It does work for me in Word 2013. Did you follow the instructions?
This template is designed to be used as a global add-in. You must:
  • EITHER copy it to your Word Startup directory (the one listed in Tools, Options, File Locations, Startup). If you do that it will always be loaded automatically every time you start Word.
  • OR open it in File, Templates as a “Global Template and Add-In”. That way, in order to use it you must go to File, Templates and check it whenever you need it. It will then stay available only for that session of Word.
Then start Word and look at the Add-Ins tab of the ribbon.

(For Word 2013, File Locations can be found in File > Options, Advanced. Instead of File > Templates, activate the Developer tab of the ribbon and click Document Template)
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here is a screenshot:
S0767.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:It does work for me in Word 2013. Did you follow the instructions?
This template is designed to be used as a global add-in. You must:
  • EITHER copy it to your Word Startup directory (the one listed in Tools, Options, File Locations, Startup). If you do that it will always be loaded automatically every time you start Word.
  • OR open it in File, Templates as a “Global Template and Add-In”. That way, in order to use it you must go to File, Templates and check it whenever you need it. It will then stay available only for that session of Word.
Then start Word and look at the Add-Ins tab of the ribbon.

(For Word 2013, File Locations can be found in File > Options, Advanced. Instead of File > Templates, activate the Developer tab of the ribbon and click Document Template)
I did put it in the Word Startup directory, but I get "Word cannot open this document template. ..."

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps someone who has Word 2013 can comment...
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:Perhaps someone who has Word 2013 can comment...
Uh oh... It looks like there was some functional leap between Word 2010 and 2013. Maybe I should have made a stopover at 2010, before making that big leap to 2013.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Word 2013 is very similar to Word 2010, apart from looking uglier, so I think the add-in should work in Word 2013 too.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:Word 2013 is very similar to Word 2010, apart from looking uglier, so I think the add-in should work in Word 2013 too.
I'm actually having trouble running my own macros from Word 2003/2007. They are being blocked for not trustworthy or missing subs or functions.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Office 2007 and later are much more strict when it comes to macros. By default, all macros are disabled. The best way to enable macros is to create so-called trusted locations. If a document/template is stored in a trusted location, macros will be enabled without asking. See Add, remove, or change a trusted location.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

It is working smoothly in Word 2013...
I just used the Document Templates dialog to point to the template that was sitting in my downloads folder. I did not move the template to Words startup folder.
Once I activated the template in the dialog it placed a ribbon tab called Add-Ins, and the commands were immediately functional...
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

Rudi wrote:
It is working smoothly in Word 2013...
I just used the Document Templates dialog to point to the template that was sitting in my downloads folder. I did not move the template to Words startup folder.
Once I activated the template in the dialog it placed a ribbon tab called Add-Ins, and the commands were immediately functional...
I'm revisiting an old thread.

I still haven't figured out how to enable the Shortcut Organizer add-in.

I've placed it in the Word Startup folder, along with other add-ins that rune fine. The Word Startup folder has been designated a trusted location in Options-Trust Center.

When I click on the Shortcut Organizer button under the Add-in ribbon, nothing! When I try to run the OrganizeKeyboardShortcuts.MAIN macro from the Developer-Macro, also nothing!

This is very strange, because all the other macros from another third-party add-in is operating properly.

What am I missing?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No idea, sorry.
Best wishes,
Hans