Complex Copy and Paste from Form to Form

arroway
3StarLounger

Complex Copy and Paste from Form to Form

Post by arroway »

We have a Word template form with Macros, functions, and features which works great here on our server. However, as is known, when the file is taken off the server, all the Macros and functions don't go along with it. And we have users who like to take the file home to fill out and then bring it back to work when, guess what, "Hey the form's not working!" What needs to happen then is either I have to re-install all the Macros and bells and whistles into the document (it's a PAIN!) or they have to get all their information and transpose them into a new document from the server.

So my question is this: Is there a script that users could run which asks them which Word file to open (the one from their flashdrive) and which file to export data to (the one on the server) which copies the information from formfields to the new formfields for matching formfields? There are some fields which will be blank, not all form fields are present (either in the starting form or the destination form) so basically, list all formfields on the starting document, list all formfields on the destination document, where formfields exist on both documents, collect information where data exists and paste into the new document.

Is that a really super-hard thing to write or is it doable?
Thanks,
Dax
It takes 2 to tango; unless you speak binary; then it takes 10.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Complex Copy and Paste from Form to Form

Post by HansV »

If users are allowed to take the file home with them, can't they install the template there too?
Best wishes,
Hans

arroway
3StarLounger

Post by arroway »

I suppose so but how do they do that? That would certainly solve the problem. And then, when they bring the forms back to work on their flash/thumb drives and copy the files back over to the Server, would the functionality continue to work? This form is the one I've been working on for a while. It contains Macros in the ThisDocument module and the TemplateProject Module and also includes AutoText Entries exclusive to this form.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I haven't tested it, but if the template is present in the user templates folder or in the workgroup templates folder on both the home computer and the work computer, the user probably won't have to do anything.
Best wishes,
Hans

arroway
3StarLounger

Post by arroway »

Thanks. I'll try this tonight and post back my results.

arroway
3StarLounger

Post by arroway »

Sorry, no results. It wasn't tested because I realized we're actually sending this out to people via email, which they'll fill out and send back so we're working on a solution that'll scoop out the data and insert it into a macro-enabled form. --D.