What is the word command for keyboard customization?

New Daddy
4StarLounger

What is the word command for keyboard customization?

Post by New Daddy »

What is the word command for keyboard customization? I want to get to the keyboard customization dialog box directly by putting it on the menu (in Word 2003) or mapping it on a keyboard shortcut of its own (in Word 2007 or above), since I customize them so often.

More generally, what is the quickest way to find the Word command behind certain function or feature? I browse the Toolbar Customization -- Commands -- All commands, but with so many Word commands on the list, it feels like finding a needle in a haystack. Hope there is a better way.

HansV
Administrator

Re: What is the word command for keyboard customization?

Post by HansV »

For Word 2007/2010/2013:
Click the dropdown arrow on the right hand side of the Quick Access Toolbar.
Select 'More Commands...' from the dropdown menu.
Select 'Commands Not in the Ribbon' from the 'Choose commands from' dropdown.
Scroll down until you see 'Customize Keyboard...'.
Select this command and click Add >>, then click OK.
S0705.png
Clicking the new button on the Quick Access Toolbar will directly activate the Customize Keyboard dialog.

I have found the Word Commands list on the Word MVP site quite useful. You can download it from Word for Windows commands, and their descriptions, default shortcuts and menu assignments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:I have found the Word Commands list on the Word MVP site quite useful. You can download it from Word for Windows commands, and their descriptions, default shortcuts and menu assignments.
Oh, boy. It tastes like a honey pot to me! Thanks!

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The general rule in Word 2003 is that the command name is simply the series of choices you would make on the menu to execute the command, stuck together German-style. Since the Customize command is on the Tools menu, its command name is ToolsCustomize. There are some exceptions, but that's a good place to start.

In later versions, most commands that existed in Word 2003 keep the same names, despite the lack of menus to associate them with. If you go into the Options > Customize dialog and hover the mouse cursor over a command, its command name will appear in parentheses in the tooltip.

It's also useful to know that pressing Ctrl+Alt+NumberPadPlus (with NumLock turned on) changes the cursor to a clover-leaf symbol, and pressing any shortcut combination or clicking any menu/ribbon command will open the Customize Keyboard dialog with the corresponding command already selected.

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

Jay Freedman wrote:It's also useful to know that pressing Ctrl+Alt+NumberPadPlus (with NumLock turned on) changes the cursor to a clover-leaf symbol, and pressing any shortcut combination or clicking any menu/ribbon command will open the Customize Keyboard dialog with the corresponding command already selected.
That's a trick I didn't know! Very useful! Thanks.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I second....that is an interesting and useful tip to know!
TX Jay!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.