Font properties of outline numbering

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Font properties of outline numbering

Post by New Daddy »

[Word 2003]

In the outline numbering, somehow the font properties of the leading number does not follow that of the style tied to that level. What gives? For example, a smaller size font than the following style is always chosen and sometimes an underline is missing. I have to go into the outline numbering dialog box and change the font properties each time, which is cumbersome.

Anyone knows why?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Font properties of outline numbering

Post by HansV »

Let me state outright that I don't have the slightest idea.

If you click the Font... button in the 'Customize Outline Numbered List' dialog, is a specific font size selected in the Size list box?

In the screenshot below (made in Word 2010), no font, font style or size has been selected, meaning that the numbering will use the font settings of the heading style.
S0704.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Re: Font properties of outline numbering

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:Let me state outright that I don't have the slightest idea.

If you click the Font... button in the 'Customize Outline Numbered List' dialog, is a specific font size selected in the Size list box?

In the screenshot below (made in Word 2010), no font, font style or size has been selected, meaning that the numbering will use the font settings of the heading style.
S0704.png
No, a specific font size is NOT selected in the size box. Normally, if that box is empty, then yes, the outline number should follow the character properties of the style. But not in my case. This is strange, because I remember this working the way it is supposed to in the past.

One more relevant fact: before I circulate my manuscripts, I convert outline numbers to regular text -- I use Selection.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumberstoText in a macro -- so that people who receive my manuscript are not thrown off by a feature they are not familiar with. In the past, when the outline numbers didn't follow the fonts properties of the style, sometimes this conversion did bring them together. But now, the macro can't fix the problem either.

Something is definitely going on, but I have no idea.