Do you need Word 2013 for integration b/w desktop & web app?

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Do you need Word 2013 for integration b/w desktop & web app?

Post by New Daddy »

I haven't fully plunged into Microsoft's OneDrive, as I'm very happy with DropBox.
But one feature of OneDrive caught my attention, which I think potentially can open a lot of possibilities: integration between their Web App and desktop app. It lets you open an Office document stored in cloud directly in a desktop application.

Well, conceptually, at least, because it doesn't work with Office 2003, and OneDrive's help also says you need the latest Office.
Does that mean I need Office 2013 to use the Web App protocol? Is Web App as good as it looks on paper? Any pitfalls that anybody experienced?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Do you need Word 2013 to make use of "Web App" protocol?

Post by HansV »

The Office Web Apps (now called Office Online) are nice for viewing documents and workbooks, and perhaps for basic editing, but they are very limited compared with the desktop Office applications. I personally think they're not really useful.

They work in your browser, you don't need to have Office 2013 installed.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Re: Do you need Word 2013 to make use of "Web App" protocol?

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:The Office Web Apps (now called Office Online) are nice for viewing documents and workbooks, and perhaps for basic editing, but they are very limited compared with the desktop Office applications. I personally think they're not really useful.

They work in your browser, you don't need to have Office 2013 installed.
No, I have no intention of using the Office Web Apps. Like you said, they are rudimentary. That's exactly why I'm trying to open the cloud document in desktop application through the so-called "seamless integration" between Web App and Desktop application. Below is the error message I get when I try to open a cloud document in Desktop application.

http://office.microsoft.com/client/15/h ... OICFailure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HansV
Administrator

Re: Do you need Word 2013 for integration b/w desktop & web

Post by HansV »

I don't think that will work with Office 2003.
If you want to edit a document stored on OneDrive, download it to your PC, edit it, then save it and upload the document to OneDrive again.
Best wishes,
Hans