April Fools Form

arroway
3StarLounger

April Fools Form

Post by arroway »

Here's a fun one (I hope). I'd like to create a locked form such that when the user clicks into and types into a form field, the typing repeats, "April Fools! April Fools!" over and over again no matter what the person types. So, first character typed now matter what a-z,1-0, A-Z it is results in a "A", second character results in a "p", third results in a "r", and so on and so forth. I'd like them to be able to tab from field to field. Is there a way of making a form do this?
--Dax

(I'm just looking for some good April Fool's jokes to play on people. The other thing to do is set the font to Wingdings. Ha!)
It takes 2 to tango; unless you speak binary; then it takes 10.

HansV
Administrator

Re: April Fools Form

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid Word doesn't lend itself to something like that. The Word VBA object model doesn't expose keyboard events, sowe cannot "trap" and alter keystrokes.
Moreover, VBA code doesn't run at all while the user is typing in a form field. Form fields only have On Enter and On Exit macros, nothing in between.
(So it would be possible to replace what the user has typed with 'April Fools' when they exit a form field, but that is not what you had in mind.)

Sorry to spoil the fun!
Best wishes,
Hans

arroway
3StarLounger

Post by arroway »

Then Wingdings it is! Thanks for the education and for applying your knowledge to my tomfoolery. If you have any other April Fools ideas, please pass them along. I'm always up for a good joke. (I changed my bosses-pointer cursor to the hourglass-cursor last year. He sat there waiting for at least five minutes before calling me into the office, "DAX! YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS?!?" :rofl: )

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Or set the font color to white...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

This is not in Word, but some VGA drivers allow the screen to be flipped 180 degrees.
Try pressing: CTRL+ALT+<Down arrow> to flip it upside down.
For normal view press: CTRL + ALT + <Up arrow>

The ability to rotate the screen image is a feature of your video card. If it works...great! (If it doesn't :sad: )
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

arroway
3StarLounger

Post by arroway »

Thanks Rudi! I know this one well. Unfortunately, we do it around here so often that everyone knows about it and isn't phased by it anymore. They just un-flip it and keep on going about their business.

One that's fun is taking a picture of their screen (Ctrl+PrtScn) when they're in the middle of working on something and set the image as their wallpaper, then minimize everything so it looks like everything's there but it really isn't. It takes a bit to set up but the payoff is great! When they come ask for my help I just ask them all the dumb questions: "Have you tried rebooting?" "Try turning your monitor off and on again." "Is it plugged into the wall?" "Try hitting the Any key!" "Call Microsoft and put in a help ticket!" ...And actually, this works well for myself too because when I do this on my computer, all I have to do is hit Windows+M (Minimize all windows) when I'm checking my facebook and it looks like I'm working! :rofl:

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

You could make the following the 'on exit' sub for a formfield:

Code: Select all

Sub Reverse()
With ActiveDocument.FormFields(1)
  .Result = Reversed(.Result)
End With
End Sub

Function Reversed(Str As String) As String
If (Len(Str) > 1) Then
  Reversed = Reversed(Mid$(Str, 2)) + Left$(Str, 1)
Else
  Reversed = Str
End If
End Function
Other possibilities include swapping the inputs from different formfields around... :innocent:
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

arroway
3StarLounger

Post by arroway »

OMG!! Excellence!! Thank you!
-Dax