Rationale behind Shift-F5 (Word 2000)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Rationale behind Shift-F5 (Word 2000)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Like you, I make extensive use of the Shift-F5 to GoBackTo where I was.
Like you, I scroll up to locate the required text, PgUp, Ctrl-Up-Arrow, Ctrl-Right_Arrow, the lot, and
Like you, I select the appropriate text and use Shift-F5.
And Like you I am happy to be back where I was working.

But unlike you I have posted this message to express my wonder at how Word knows WHICH of the places I've visited is "home" to me?

How does Word determine that I want to be back HERE? And what makes HERE so special? Why doesn't Word get confused and think that I just came from where the first Ctrl-PgUp took me? And why doesn't Word take me further back than HERE, for example, to where I was just before I came HERE and decided that I should do some pasting from up THERE?
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Rationale behind Shift-F5 (Word 2000)

Post by HansV »

Microsoft has spent thousands of hours studying your behavior, so it knows exactly what HERE means to you... :evilgrin:

(I think it has to do with the last postion where you edited, but it's not entirely that...)
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Sadly, Shift-F5 is not as effective in Word 2007 as it used to be in earlier versions.

Word used to store the last two locations visited in bookmarks called \Prevsel1 and \Prevsel2, but it no longer does this with Word 2007, so when you open a document it has no knowledge of the previous editing location.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:I think it has to do with the last postion where you edited, but it's not entirely that...)
Thanks Hans.
The Help files mumble something about "latest revision", but I've not found that always to be so.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:... store the last two locations visited in bookmarks called \Prevsel1 and \Prevsel2, but it no longer does this with Word 2007,
Unlike My MRUse, which remembers where you were without loading anything to the document (so it remembers where you were the last time you browsed through a document without changing anything).
Want to test-run a copy on 2007/2010?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

ChrisGreaves wrote:...Want to test-run a copy on 2007/2010?
Thanks for the offer, but I run my computers very lean, with as few add-ons as possible.
StuartR