Odd page breaks

jmt356
SilverLounger

Odd page breaks

Post by jmt356 »

I am trying to insert Odd page breaks. I have no problem, but I find that when I go back to them, they disappear. Sometimes they are replaced with a break that says, "End of section." I think there are times when they are replaced with "Next page" breaks, but I'm not sure of this one. I am sure though that after I have inserted multiple odd page breaks, I go back and sometimes find the new section starting on an even page. What's the deal? Is it just Word 2003 that causes this problem?

Regards

JMT
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Odd page breaks

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

It's difficult to say what's happening, but you have to keep in mind that right-hand pages are always odd pages, and left-hand pages are even pages. So if you have two odd-numbered pages following each other because of an odd page break, Word will insert a blank page.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi JMT,

(As Hans said: Welcome to Eileen's Lounge)

If you have been inserting lots of page and section breaks in a document, these may influence the position of pages over and above the odd page breaks that you are inserting. For example, if there is a page break just after an odd page section break, the documnet will break to the next even page after the odd page. (Hope that makes sense.)

My advice is to switch on the Show/Hide characters button on the Standard Toolbar (the back-to-front "P"), or switch to the "Normal View" from the View Menu so that you can see the page/section breaks. Then scroll through the document and ensure that you only have the necessary breaks (and no duplicates).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans,

I don't think what you are saying is true. The first page in my document is numbered 1, and it's on the left, and the second page is numbered 2, and it's on the right. Only when I get to around page 20 of the document do the pages on the right get odd numbers, and that's because somewhere I inserted an odd page break to skip a page.

I don't have duplicate breaks, except for where I insert a page break (so that I could get a blank page to insert a photo) followed by an odd page break (to start a new section with a new chapter). Having page breaks followed by Odd page section breaks is nto the problem, because I even had the problem before I started insterting page breaks before the odd section breaks.

On another note, is there a way to get replies to this thread sent to my email inbox? I couldn't find that option under settings.

Regards,

JMT
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid it's hard if not impossible to tell what causes the problem, especially without seeing the document.

About your last question:
- Click 'User Control Panel'.
- Click 'Board Preferences'.
- Click 'Edit posting defaults'.
- Set 'Notify me upon replies by default:' to Yes.
- Click Submit.
x69.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Guessed
2StarLounger

Post by Guessed »

I don't think what you are saying is true. The first page in my document is numbered 1, and it's on the left, and the second page is numbered 2, and it's on the right. Only when I get to around page 20 of the document do the pages on the right get odd numbers, and that's because somewhere I inserted an odd page break to skip a page.
In Word, the page view you see on screen for left/right pages is NOT the same as the way the pages would print. For instance, if you print a document double-sided then page 2 will be on the back of page 1 and therefore not visible as a two page spread which is how page view displays it.

When Word is in Page Layout view and you set your zoom so you can see two pages side by side on screen then each pair of pages will actually print on the same sheet and therefore not actually be viewable that way on the desk as a hardcopy. If you have then used odd/even page breaks then Word doesn't display the blank pages that may occur so the two page spread view on screen might actually become correct.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans,

I already had all of those options selected, yet still I'm not getting messages to my inbox. I did however get your message to my inbox. It was from "admin@eileenslounge.com."

As for the page break issue, It's 12 mb and too big to post. Hans, as administrator can you receive files that big?

Regards,

JMT
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've sent a reply to the e-mail that you sent to LoungeAdmin.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

To round this off: JMT sent me a copy of the document, but try as I might, I couldn't reproduce the problem of odd-page section breaks changing to next-page section breaks.
However, I did find it impossible to set up the document the way he wanted with odd-page section breaks. Since it concerns a book of poems with full-page illustrations, the text won't be edited, so I recommended inserting hard page breaks to ensure that the poems begin on odd-numbered pages. I normally wouldn't do that, but in this situation it makes it easier to produce the desired layout.
Best wishes,
Hans