Word 2010 Viewing Multiple Documents

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Word 2010 Viewing Multiple Documents

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:I followed the same method. It seems impossible to me that the documents would open in different instances of Word if you open them from within Word.
Yep I believe you but every search I do on the WEB says that is the way it has been happening since Word 2000 and I know that is not true. I cannot find anything to explain any other way to do it. I really don't want to delete any Registry files so now I guess I have to decide if it is annoying enough for me to spend about $90.00 on that Office Tab program. I cut the right side of the lower window off but you'll get the idea. This is exactly how they open. I did not move them around after opening at all.

I just followed the file opening procedure I described, took a screen shot of it, and will post it so you see I'm not crazy.
Files.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Word 2013 displays each document in its own window, but still opens them within the same instance of WINWORD.EXE. Your screenshot does not prove that the documents are opened in different instances of Word - you should still be able to switch between them using Ctrl+F6 or the Switch Windows button on the View tab of the ribbon.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Word 2013 displays each document in its own window, but still opens them within the same instance of WINWORD.EXE. Your screenshot does not prove that the documents are opened in different instances of Word - you should still be able to switch between them using Ctrl+F6 or the Switch Windows button on the View tab of the ribbon.
You're right and mine does work exactly as you said. I was looking at the wrong "Windows" button. The, what I thought was the Windows button was below and to the left of the Switch Windows which I totally did not see for some reason. Actually I only found the correct one after trying and seeing that Ctrl F6 worked. I think I had a brain freeze or something. I am sorry for all the confusion and thank you very much. BTW both machines work as you said they should now that I am using the correct buttons.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Did you mean the word Window in the screenshot below? That is merely the name of a section of the ribbon, not a button.
S0049.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yep that's the one. I was looking for a little triangle in the corner and that is what made me say it was greyed out. Stupid, huh? For some odd reason I didn't even notice the Switch Windows button. Again, sorry.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No worries. I'm glad it has been cleared up now.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Me toooooooooooo!
Regards,
hlewton

Bruce Fraser
NewLounger

Post by Bruce Fraser »

The suggestion about trying "Repair" may be worthwhile.
I was having this same trouble, of ending up with multiple instances of WinWord.exe after opening documents from Windows Explorer. I set up a chat with a Microsoft Tech Support person. He asked me to try doing a “Repair” from Control Panel – Programs and Features. I was dubious, because I figured Word 2013 was programmed this way. Well… it worked! I now have just one instance on WinWord.exe, unless I explicitly run another program from the Start menu.

BUT: the problem still happens if I try to open, say, 10 documents together.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Despite many complaints about the problem, it hasn't been solved in Word 2013 - it too tends to start multiple instances of Word if you open several documents from Windows Explorer.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Bruce Fraser wrote:The suggestion about trying "Repair" may be worthwhile.
I was having this same trouble, of ending up with multiple instances of WinWord.exe after opening documents from Windows Explorer. I set up a chat with a Microsoft Tech Support person. He asked me to try doing a “Repair” from Control Panel – Programs and Features. I was dubious, because I figured Word 2013 was programmed this way. Well… it worked! I now have just one instance on WinWord.exe, unless I explicitly run another program from the Start menu.

BUT: the problem still happens if I try to open, say, 10 documents together.
Thanks for the reply.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Despite many complaints about the problem, it hasn't been solved in Word 2013 - it too tends to start multiple instances of Word if you open several documents from Windows Explorer.
I remember back when I got Office 365 and tried this it worked just as you say and I wondered then why MS doesn't listen to its customers.
Regards,
hlewton