Spell Check "do not check spelling.." message

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Spell Check "do not check spelling.." message

Post by MelanieB »

We have a form that is being difficult. When we run spell check (after unprotecting the form), we get the message "Text marked with 'do not check spelling or grammar' was skipped."

I selected the entire document.
Clicked the Review tab and selected the Language drop down for Set Proofing Language. I noticed that "do not check spelling or grammar" is a grey box, so I click it until it clears. I clicked the Set as Default button and Ok to close the window.

Seems to be good. Now the spell checker picks up incorrect words.

But, when the same person re-opens the file on the same computer to make edits to the file, the setting reverts back to not checking some areas. I can go through the whole process again, but I thought set as default meant it would stay set every time we open this file at least. I can't figure out where in the document it's marked not to check spellling. So, every time we open it, we select the whole document and repeat the process all over again.

Any ideas on why it's not sticking? Is it because this is a form and once we protect it for forms it reverts? I am befuddled.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Spell Check "do not check spelling.." message

Post by HansV »

Word automatically marks some text as "Do not check spelling or grammar" (a date field, for example), but once you clear this explicitly, Word should leave the setting alone, whether the document is protected for forms or not.
Perhaps someone else will come up with a suggestion, but in the meantime, would it be possible to attach a sanitized copy of the document here?
Best wishes,
Hans

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

Trying to send the attachment. After pressing Add File, it dissappears. Do I need to zip it or something? It's a docx file right now.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The maximum file size is 250 KB. You could try zipping it (although that won't reduce the file size much - a .docx file has already been zipped).
Best wishes,
Hans

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

Rebooted my pc, and now the attachment works. And, I re-tried the spell check thing and it still doesn't work, so reboot didn't fix that.

Thanks for looking at this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks. You can search for text that has been set to "Do not check spelling or grammar", and turn it off as follows:
- Press Ctrl+H to activate the Replace dialog.
- Click More >>
- Click in the Find what box.
- Click Format | Language...
- Tick the check box "Do not check spelling or grammar".
- Click OK.
- Click in the Replace with box.
- Click Format | Language...
- Clear the check box "Do not check spelling or grammar".
- Click OK.
x1227.png
- Click Find Next, then Replace each individual occurrence, or click Replace All.
- Finally, close the Replace dialog.

Remark: if you select the entire document, the "Do not check spelling or grammar" check box will always be grey (neither ticked nor clear); this is normal behavior is a large amount of text is selected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans