Macros vs. AutoText Maximums, Word 2010

Sundog
5StarLounger

Macros vs. AutoText Maximums, Word 2010

Post by Sundog »

I am working on a new template for documents with many macros or AutoText or BuildingBlock entries. These entries insert a formatted block of text, or a table. Initially there'd be a few for a trial run; could be dozens in the end. There needs to be some reasonable way for the users to pick among the entries; something better than the tiny type used to display text in a BuildingBlock. The template needs to be available to several users on a network, but the template could be loaded on their personal CPUs.

Q1) Should I use a bunch of macros, or a bunch of AutoTexts, or a bunch of BuildingBlocks?
Q2) Are there any maximums associated with creating such entries in Word? Such as total number of AutoText entries, total size of a single AutoText entry, what can/can't be included, etc.? Likewise with BuildingBlocks and macros.
Q3) My thought is to start with the Normal.dot and create a new .dot with the styles we need.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

An example is attached.
PMexample.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HansV on 18 Aug 2012, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove duplicate attachment
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: Macros vs. AutoText Maximums, Word 2010

Post by HansV »

There are limits to each of the features that you mention, but it is unlikely that you will run into them.
To overcome some of the shortcomings of the way Word presents building blocks (of which AutoText is a part), you might take a look at Greg Maxey's free add-in Building Block Enhanced Tools. It's available from Building Blocks & AutoText. Make sure to read the description, it contains useful information about building blocks and AutoText. The link to download the add-in is near the bottom of the page.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Re: Macros vs. AutoText Maximums, Word 2010

Post by Sundog »

Thanks for the link!
Sundog