Mail Merge with Individual PDF letters out

Prada82
NewLounger

Mail Merge with Individual PDF letters out

Post by Prada82 »

Hello,

After the mail merge is complete, I want to PDF letters individually wo having to do them one at a time. Is there a way to do that wo having to click off each name?

thanks!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Mail Merge with Individual PDF letters out

Post by HansV »

Try Graham Mayor's free add-in Individual Merge Letters. Creating PDF files is one of the options offered.
See Word add-in to merge letters to separate files. Please note that the link to download the add-in is near the bottom of the page. Ignore all the green download buttons, they're advertisements.
x1153.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

I have just completed 2 lots of 230 recipient mail merges. After each lot I had to generate individual PDFs and save them to each client's folder. Boy did that take a lot of time. Between the 2 lots, I searched to see if I could come up with some code that would automate it. No luck. After finishing both lots, I stumbled accross Graham Mayor's Word add in.
http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm
Nothing short of BRILLIANT. What took me hours, will, in future take < 1 hour. I will only need to use this once each year, but it was so good that even with that minimum use, I gave him a donation.
So simple, just click on the .exe and the Word AddIn is installed. You can get each individual PDF to be named from mail merge fields, eg., LastName & FirstName. Plus you can add static text before or after the Field name names. The only manual bit needed was dragging each doc into it's folder. But as they were in alpha sort order, as were the target folders, that was a piece of cake.
So if you are doing mail merges and need individual copies - download it.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I have used used both MailMergetoDoc(andPDF) and ManyToOneMailMerge from Graham and both have been great tools for merging purposes with various options and settings. Both have definite benefits and can save a lot of time for their respective purposes. My credits to Graham too for making these available.

TX for the positive feedback. :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

See also Send Mailmerge Output to Individual Files in the Mailmerge Tips and Tricks threads at:
http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merg ... ricks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or:
http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showth ... amp-Tricks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Paul. There are quite a few examples of code that does this all over. I did look at similar code and decided that it was just too darn hard. Still reckon that. After I had finished my 2 merge episodes, I discovered Graham's stuff. EXACTLY what I was looking for - clean, simple and best of all, it works.
Now all I need is Graham to enable saving each individual PDF to a folder whose path could easily be included in the data file.
Actually, this prompted me to send a request for just such functionality to Graham, which I did before clicking 'Submit' for this post.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

Peter Kinross wrote:I did look at similar code and decided that it was just too darn hard. Still reckon that.
I'm not sure what's too hard about copying & pasting some code from a website to the VBE and, perhaps assigning a shortcut key to the macro...
For some generic PC macro installation & usage instructions, see: http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for choosing a destination folder, that functionality can be added to the code in the links I provided. To do that:
• add

Code: Select all

Function GetFolder() As String
Dim oFolder As Object
GetFolder = ""
Set oFolder = CreateObject("Shell.Application").BrowseForFolder(0, "Choose a folder", 0)
If (Not oFolder Is Nothing) Then GetFolder = oFolder.Items.Item.Path
Set oFolder = Nothing
End Function
after the existing code and
• replace:
StrFolder = .Path & Application.PathSeparator
with:

Code: Select all

StrFolder = GetFolder & Application.PathSeparator
  If StrFolder = Application.PathSeparator Then
  End If
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

You're correct paul, his code does appear easier than others. But nowhere near as easy as Graham's AddIn.
That selecting folder code you displayed would be more trouble than dragging the PDFs to their respective folders. There are 236 different folders.
I would surmise that in a professional situation, most merge docs would need to be copied to the client's individual folders; could be wrong though.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

You're correct paul, his code does appear easier than others.
It's my code...
There are 236 different folders.
It wasn't apparent from your previous post you want each file saved to a separate folder. In that case, you could delete:
from the original macro and insert:
StrFolder = .DataFields("Folder") & Application.PathSeparator
before:
StrName = .DataFields("Last_Name") & "_" & .DataFields("First_Name")
where the folder the output is to be saved to is in a data field named 'Folder'.

Not only that, if you added the code to the mailmerge main document's 'ThisDocument' code module and changed its name to Document_Open, it could run automatically whenever the document is opened.
I would surmise that in a professional situation, most merge docs would need to be copied to the client's individual folders; could be wrong though.
The requirement to save individual merge letters to separate folders is something for which there is little demand, which is why you're unlikely to find any solutions with that as the default setup.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]