When I enter ctrl/F9 enclosed code, it doesn't remain visibl

PaulW
2StarLounger

When I enter ctrl/F9 enclosed code, it doesn't remain visibl

Post by PaulW »

I am trying to make several letters in word from an excel spreadsheet. I tried to enter code within ctrl/F9 bracket pairs, but when I save the word document (docx) and use the "Preview Results" in the "Mailings" tab the code is gone. If I did it correctly the result is correct, but I am an incremental programmer. Do a little, make sure it works an then enter some more code.

Does any one have a tutorial that covers this type of problem or some suggetions? :scratch:

TIA
PaulW
Lost Wages, NV USA
(former Cobol Programmer)

kdock
5StarLounger

Re: When I enter ctrl/F9 enclosed code, it doesn't remain vi

Post by kdock »

Have you tried using the Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard?

On the Mailings tab, click the Start Mail Merge button. At the bottom is the Step by Step Wizard, which should walk you through this process. Some of the steps may not be completely clear, so post back if you have any issues.

HTH, Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

Formula fields will often disappear in a mailmerge document once they're updated. You can, of course, use Alt-F9 to toggle the field code display, or, if you know where the field is, you can select its range and use Shift-F9 to display just that field pending the next update.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

PaulW
2StarLounger

Post by PaulW »

Hi Macropod,

Thanks for the ALT F9 code. This is exactly what I need. Now I can play incremental programmer again!

Paul
============================

Kim,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I was past that part of the exercise and was doing code. I could do it in Access VBA but don't want to be saddled with the maintenance of another Access Application.

Paul
PaulW
Lost Wages, NV USA
(former Cobol Programmer)