Custom Ribbon (Word 2010)

Sundog
5StarLounger

Custom Ribbon (Word 2010)

Post by Sundog »

In a Word 2010 .docm document, I have added the very useful Back and Forward buttons to a new Navigation group on the Home tab. Macros must be enabled for these to work.
Q1) If another user opens this document at his CPU, does the Enable Macros option "stick" with the document, so s/he sees the new buttons in their ribbon?
Q2) If Enable Macros is a Word option, not a document option, and my remote user has disabled macros, what happens when s/he tries to open my .docm document?

Attached are my instructions to enable this feature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: Custom Ribbon (Word 2010)

Post by HansV »

Although your document is a .docm, it doesn't contain any code, so you don't get any macro warnings.
x1061.png
The ribbon customization is not present in the document, I think it applies to your computer only.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

So the ribbon customization appears to be a Word 2010 install option on a CPU, not a document option that travels with the document? Drat. The lovely buttons are definitely present on my copy of the Adding ... docm.
Sundog

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Hans, I'm assuming you had Macros Enabled to view my document?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I first saved the document to a folder that is not a trusted location. When I opened it, I didn't get the expected prompt to enable macros (macro security is set to "disable all macros with notification").
I then moved the document to a trusted location and reopened it. I couldn't find any code, nor any ribbon customization.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

I guess I'm off base. I thought that macros had to be enabled for ribbon customization. If I disable macros on my Adding document, save it as a .docx, close it, and reopen it (or open a new document), the Navigation group remains on the ribbon, and they operate when I Ctrl+Click either of the cross-reference numbers (2 or 10) that I added at the end of paragraph 2.

Try this new version of the document:
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Still no ribbon customization. Try customizing the Quick Access Toolbar instead and specify that the customizations apply to the document, not to all documents.
x1064.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

I do have those buttons already installed on my QAT. I use the QAT default of For all documents. But I had to go through a separate process to customize the ribbon. Apparently this ribbon customization only sticks on my Word 2010 install, and doesn't travel with the document?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think you'd need to use the Custom UI Editor to add a tab to the ribbon for a specific document.
The built-in ribbon customization doesn't travel with the document.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

OK. I've installed the Custom UI Editor. Can you provide a link to explain its use?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ron de Bruin has instructions for how to use it in Excel; it is very similar in Word: Change the Ribbon in Excel 2007 or Excel 2010.
Greg Maxey has instructions for Word: Customize the Word Ribbon User Interface (It Doesn't Take Rocket Science).
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Thanks for the links. I will try and report back.
Sundog