empty rows suppressed on printing (docx Word 2007)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: empty rows suppressed on printing (docx Word 2007)

Post by stuck »

Another observation...

When we open the CF generated web page in Word the empty rows contain what looks like a non-breaking space. So based on this thread the obvious thing to do is leave them there, to prevent the 'empty' rows collapsing. So my colleague did, or at least he thought he did, except that when he made another change to the table that removed all the non breaking spaces. Now read on...

The table cells are fully justified but we want left alignment. If we select the table and then use the ribbon buttons to alter the paragraph alignment from justified to left nothing appears to happen but if you then 'do it again' by clicking on centre align and then left align the cells do become left aligned AND (here comes the weird bit) the non-breaking spaces disappear. I noticed soon after first using Word 2007 a couple of years ago that when an entire table is selected then the paragraph alignment buttons on the ribbon act on the table alignment not the cell alignment so I'm not surprised about this 'having to do it again' step but that this makes the non-breaking spaces vanish is a new one.

In contrast, if we select the table and then alter the cell alignment by using the pop-out (legacy?) paragraph dialog box then the cells align correctly first time AND the non-breaking spaces don't disappear.

Ken

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

Thanks for the further info. I wondered why the cells were empty.

Even in W2003, centering gets rid of leading and trailing spaces, no break spaces included. If you select the whole table, but without the end of row markers, the alignment buttons should work on the cell contents and not the whole table.

Pam

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

PamCaswell wrote:If you select the whole table, but without the end of row markers, the alignment buttons should work on the cell contents and not the whole table.
Ta, didn't know that.

Ken