apply format to cross-reference fields to "stick"

jec
Lounger

Re: apply format to cross-reference fields to "stick"

Post by jec »

Hi Diana

As emailed to you please try the attached. TestFtr Building Block attached to the template at CUSTOM FOOTER
Go to Section 4. I put the whole footer in the Building Block.

jec
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

hello

attached is the quick part in a zipped file

cheers

dd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

Hi Diana,

I've had a look at your latest attachment. In it that you have a footer named 'Corrs footer (agreement/deed)' in which is a field coded as {REF mDocName \* MERGEFORMAT}. Obviously, that's not using the Charformat switch as previously discussed.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

jec
Lounger

Post by jec »

Hi Diana

Just apply the footersingle that style matches the footer. You do not need CHARFORMAT or MERGEFORMAT switches but I do preserve format during update (checkbox).
You must always apply the correct style to the cross reference. Your first example has DOCTITLE style applied in the Building Block so that is what you are seeing the same as the cover page.

Thank you.
Janine

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

Hi Janine,

Checking the 'preserve format during update' option applies the MERGEFORMAT switch, which is the exact opposite of what is required.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

Thank you MacroPod Paul

These are the 2 things Ive done
with no success

1. create a brand new field - with the switch "Preserve formatting during updates"
& applied character style to the field

Create a new quick part using the footer

results:
in the document bookmark if I press enter and press F9, the field retains the format

Insert the quick part footer, press F9, the result picks up the format on the format on the first line

2. insert a brand new field
with switches
"Preserve formatting during updates"
\*charformat
& applied character style to the field

Create a new quick part using the footer

results:
in the document bookmark if I press enter and press F9, the field retains the format

Insert the quick part footer, press F9, the result picks up the format on the format on the first line

:scratch:

see screen captures.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

Hi Diana

DON'T USE "Preserve formatting during updates"! All that does is to apply the MERGEFORMAT switch. You can see that even the text in the field code has the same colour etc as the referenced text. Having done that, even deleting the MERGEFORMAT switch and applying the CHARFORMAT switch won't help until you change the format of at least the the first character in the field to what you want the end result to be. All this has to be done before saving the footer as a Quick Part.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]