Two languages

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Two languages

Post by ErikJan »

Using MS365.

I have a document in English and also want to create a translated version of that in another language.

The 'normal' way to do that is to create a second document and translate that, but that would require me to always maintain two separate documents.

A better way could be to use two columns in one document, each with a different language. Easy to maintain but overhead and confusing for the end-user.

So the best way (I think) is to create one document and have each paragraph twice in different languages and then find a way to display the first, the second or both (the latter for the author to update the document).
This can probably be done by a VBA-macro but that would create a DOCM file which is less easy (e.g. as users need to enable VBA code).
So I'm thinking if somehow document automation can do this. E.g. clicking a checkbox at the top selecting the language to display. This then sets variables that show or hide paragraphs. I'm sure someone must have tried this... any suggestions on the feasibility here? Tips? Examples?

SpeakEasy
4StarLounger

Re: Two languages

Post by SpeakEasy »

>clicking a checkbox

How do you intend to respond to and act on the checkbox being clicked without macros?

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

SpeakEasy wrote:
24 May 2022, 13:28
>clicking a checkbox

How do you intend to respond to and act on the checkbox being clicked without macros?
I don't know. Thought a checkbox could set a tag and maybe an equation could use that tag somehow. Then if the equation would be true, a text could un-hide.

But maybe I'm too much in Excel space here :grin:

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Not on the issue of checking a box but in general...
Usually the way two-language translated documents are presented is side-by-side. The easiest way to do this is in a two-column table with a separate row for each paragraph.

Allowing choice of language will require macros specific to your document's setup.