Changing line spacing, needs extra spaces!

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

Changing line spacing, needs extra spaces!

Post by FrecklePaw »

I sent a document to someone and they have changed the settings on it, so now I have to change it back and also notice that because they've amended it I will now have to (tediously) add an extra paragraph break for probably multiple paragraphs across 50 pages!
Is there a quicker (automated) way to add this? So where they've only used one return I need for there to be two!
I can send an image over of what I mean - how do I do that?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Changing line spacing, needs extra spaces!

Post by HansV »

Do you really want two paragraph breaks after every paragraph of text? It is generally better to change the Space Before and/or Space After of the style you're using. Word will handle spacing for paragraphs at the beginning of a page intelligently, but with empty paragaphs you might end up with an empty paragraph at the top of a page.

If you do want to replace a single paragraph break with two paragraph breaks:
Press Ctrl+H to activate the Replace dialog.
Enter ^p in the 'Find what' box.
Enter ^p^p in the 'Replace with' box.
Click 'Replace All' if you're feeling adventurous, or use 'Find Next' and 'Replace' to decide on a cas-by-case basis.

As for attaching a picture:
If necessary, switch to 'Full Editor & Preview', then simply drag a picture (.png, .jpg or .gif) into the post you're composing.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Re: Changing line spacing, needs extra spaces!

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Reiterating what Hans is saying: Change the inter-paragraph spacing in the style. Your contributor may have also simply checked the box to not add the spacing for paragraphs of the same style. (You do not want this checked.)