Uninstall Office 2016. Permanently.

Leif
Administrator

Uninstall Office 2016. Permanently.

Post by Leif »

So, a couple of months ago I bought a new Dell All-In-One, and with one exception, does just what I want.

On setting it up, I checked in Programs and Features for any pre-installed Microsoft Office and seeing nothing, installed Office 2010 using my existing, valid Licence.

However, I soon found that hyperlinks in Excel to a Word document, insisted on opening the Word document with this window:
x.jpg
So, I click on the obvious option - "I don't want to sign in or create an account", and get this:
y.jpg
Assuming I am just required to show I do have an alternative version of Office already installed, I enter my Office 2010 key, and get this:
z.jpg
Deferring the question ' What is the difference between Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office', I went back to the first screen and clicked on second link, What is a Microsoft account?. This in turn leads to Uninstall Office from a PC.

To cut a long story short, I have clicked and used the 'Easy Fix' download and uninstalled Office 2010 too many times to remember, and in every combination/order I can think of.
All my default programs are set to Office 2010.
The default 'apps by protocol' point to Office 2010.
Double clicking an Excel or Word file in Explorer opens Office 2010
Clicking on a hyperlink in Excel to another Excel file opens with Office 2010
Clicking on a hyperlink in Word to another Word file opens with Office 2010
But hyperlinks in Excel to a Word document, or in Word to an Excel document, insist on opening the linked file in (what I assume is) Office 2016.

Can anyone suggest a method of ridding my PC of all Office components that are not 2010?
Please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Re: Uninstall Office 2016. Permanently.

Post by HansV »

Can you find references to Office16 in the registry? Or to subkeys named 16.0 under an Office key?
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Thanks Hans, yes - thousands and thousands!

Searching for "2016", I eventually came across a few references to Microsoft Excel 2016, including this:
y.jpg
The reference to 'Microsoft.Office.Desktop' prompted me to Google 'remove microsoft desktop apps' and came across How to install Microsoft Office apps on Windows 10 S devices, which also conveniently shows how to uninstall ALL Office apps:
x.jpg
Just shows how old I am - I thought 'apps' were just for mobiles and tablets :laugh:

Anyway, that seems to have done the trick, so many thanks for the prompt - I'm back to being semi-productive again :grin:

:thankyou: :wine: :chocciebar:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad to have been able to prompt you :laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

semi-productive. Wow. That would be a definite improvement round here.
StuartR

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Semi-productive huh ?

Can I have the other semi please ? You know, just to get me started a bit. :laugh:
Cheers, Claude.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Claude wrote:Semi-productive huh ?

Can I have the other semi please ? You know, just to get me started a bit. :laugh:
:laugh:

I can spare you a "pair" Claude, just to get you up on your feet. :wink:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.