Office365

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Office365

Post by ErikJan »

So Office365 is the subscription model for Office. It currently runs an originally Office 2016 that has been receiving functional updates for years now (and which therefore is now beyond the fixed-in-time perpetual Office 2016 version). Correct?

If I install O365, I need an MS account. That doesn't have to be the same as the account I might use to log into my Windows10, so far things are still clear (I think / hope I'm still correct here).

Now the first question I have is if that O365 account should remain active (logged-in) to allow O365 to work. I'm told that I can log-out somehow (after the initial O365 install), but I don't know how I can do that and I totally don't understand why that would be possible...: if I would log out (in O365), how can MS check if my subscription is still valid? And how does it know if I am still eligible for the function-updates (that -I think- occur twice / year)??? My guess is that O365 would turn into a Read-Only status quickly then.

My problems are larger but it starts with the above. Am I understanding things correctly or am I missing some/all points here?

Looking forward to any feedback / confirmation / updates and clarifications you might have before I continue to make this more complex :hairout:

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office365

Post by HansV »

The Office 365 version of Office 2016 has new features compared to the non-365 version. For example, Excel has several new worksheet functions such as IFS and TEXT JOIN.
You can run Office 365 applications for a limited time without being logged in to the associated account, for example if you temporarily don't have an internet connection. But as far as I know, you can't receive updates if you're not logged in (even if you have an internet connection).
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have both a Local and MS accounts on my Windows 10 machine.
I use the local account all of the time.
When in a program of Office 365 going to File, Accounts, one can login and get any and all updates as needed.
There on can log into the MS account from within Office,
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

DaveA wrote:I have both a Local and MS accounts on my Windows 10 machine.
I use the local account all of the time.
When in a program of Office 365 going to File, Accounts, one can login and get any and all updates as needed.
There on can log into the MS account from within Office,
OK, let me try to understand... when you say you have local and MS accounts, you mean accounts you use when you sign into Windows, right?
When in Office 365 in the File / Account screen, you are normally NOT signed-in? And when you want functionality updates, you briefly sign-in a few times / year... Is that what you mean?

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

So here's step 2 of my problem. I have Office 2016 (perpetual license) @ home and there's now the possibility to install O365 via a work license.

I believe that O365 will install over O2016 (because it's almost the same) so that will work. However for O365 I need to be signed-in with my work-account (as that is where the license comes from) either a few times / year to get functionality updates or all the time (for convenience). Being signed in also allows the use of OneDrive (I think). Now if I would do this and if my work system would also use O365, wouldn't that mean that being logged-in @home and @work using the same account will allow information to be shared between the two systems then??? This is where I disconnect because from my @home perspective I don't want that and also from an @work perspective that should not be allowed.

I've been trying to understand how all of this works but I still don't get it (unless I'm right...).

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, you are correct, so I think you shouldn't install Office 365 with your work account at home.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

My home system is logged in using my personal Microsoft account. Being logged in to the same Office account does not mean that you have remote access to the PCs using that account. You only have access to the same Office 365 resources. You can still setup your personal email account at home in Outlook and it will not be seen at work. I use a work account for Office 365 Pro Plus. I have all my personal and work email accounts setup at home and don't worry about them. The Office 365 account stays logged in all the time. The only time anything would be shared in Outlook is if I choose the wrong account from which to send an email. Any Office files I save locally stay local. The only way a file gets shared with work is if I save it to OneDrive for Business. If I choose to save it to my personal OneDrive it is not available to work.

BTW, if you choose to install Office 365 Pro Plus I recommend you uninstall Office 2016 first. You should not lose your settings but make a system backup first just to be sure.
Joe

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

JoeP wrote:The only way a file gets shared with work is if I save it to OneDrive for Business.
My point is that is malware gets on your system it can get to OneDrive for Business and therefore it can get to your business. Also, if you save business files @ work on OneDrive for business they WILL be available on your system @ home. Now you will probably be controlling that and be well protected and well organized but how does a business know how well your PC @ home is protected. Maybe a friend or relative has access and (s)he can see all your business files... See my point?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I found out later (after setting Windows 10) an MS account is NOT required to Windows 10, as I was lead to believe.
I have used Office in both Windows user accounts and others and they (Office 365) are all logged in by using the one MS account. There can be only ONE account linked to a Office 365 subscription.

I am not sure how these work related subscriptions are working, but I would think that there is MS account that is linked to it.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Joe