Can't Locate Office Installation Files On Local Hard Drive

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Can't Locate Office Installation Files On Local Hard Drive

Post by hlewton »

The other day while working with MS they downloaded files to my hard drive and used them to install Office 365/Office 2016 to my computer. The technician said I could copy these files to a DVD so if I wanted to install Office 2016 on another computer I would not have to wait for the Internet to download the installation files again. I am not so concerned about that since I can, if I ever decide to, install Office 365 from my MS account. However, as he was doing all this I took note of how large a download it was and would like to find it on my hard drive. I have searched for that folder or files but have not been able to locate them. They are not in the Downloads folder and I did not notice where he placed them nor did I see him remove them from my computer. Any idea what I should search for other than "setup.exe or install.exe" to find these files or possibly a certain folder that may have been placed on my computer that I cannot locate?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can't Locate Office Installation Files On Local Hard Dri

Post by HansV »

Do you have a new drive letter, for example D: or E: ?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

No nothing like that.

I may be wrong but I believe the download was somewhere around 2 gig or more. I have search programs called "Locate32 and Search Everything" but neither has an option to search for files by size that I can see.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The installer should be named Setup64.exe if you have the 64-bit version as you mentioned before.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks I do have the 64bit version and I searched for that but it still finds nothing. I may have to open another case with MS just to locate that larger download.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I think I found it but just to be sure I will post what I found by searching the download folder and sorting it by size. I found "OL365HomePremRetail.img it is 2,877,682 KB" in size which is along the lines of what I remembered. I have no idea what the ".img" does if clicked but when he installed Office 2016 there was both the 32 & 64bit versions in whatever he opened. Do you suppose this is the file I am looking for?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That sounds correct, but it is not a file that you can open directly, you'd still need Setup64.exe...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks. I just did another search and will attach the file of all the Setup64.exe files I found on my computer. The one is in Office/16 folder. That is probably the one you say I need but I know I saw him have both options of the 32bit and 64 bit to install. It is all a bit confusing because I did not see him drill down to that folder to install it. Plus the file has a "_Rules.xml" at the end of it. In any case please see attachment below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Neither is a .exe file, since the actual extension is .pdf for the first file and .xml for the second one. I suspect that you should have copied the file(s) immediately after the Microsoft technician installed Office 2016/365 on your PC.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Neither is a .exe file, since the actual extension is .pdf for the first file and .xml for the second one. I suspect that you should have copied the file(s) immediately after the Microsoft technician installed Office 2016/365 on your PC.
I do too. I am going to get rid of that big file on my hard drive though.
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

hlewton wrote:The other day while working with MS they downloaded files to my hard drive and used them to install Office 365/Office 2016 to my computer. The technician said I could copy these files to a DVD so if I wanted to install Office 2016 on another computer I would not have to wait for the Internet to download the installation files again. [...]
hlewton wrote:I think I found it but just to be sure I will post what I found by searching the download folder and sorting it by size. I found "OL365HomePremRetail.img it is 2,877,682 KB" in size which is along the lines of what I remembered. I have no idea what the ".img" does if clicked but when he installed Office 2016 there was both the 32 & 64bit versions in whatever he opened. Do you suppose this is the file I am looking for?
Obviously the prefetch file and the file in the appdata folder isn't what you are looking for.

You have found an image file (IMG) for Office 365 Home Premium. If one is using, for example, software such as 7-Zip it is easy to open such image files (and other archives) and have look at what's inside, and extract the content, if one would like. (Usually one will find what is often found in the root of a CD/DVD, setup files, readme, autorun, and several folders; i.e. an installation media.) That said, if the computer has a DVD-RW I think the standard option, at least in Windows 7, when you right-click an image file (IMG), is to burn the image file to a DVD.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 51080.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:
hlewton wrote:The other day while working with MS they downloaded files to my hard drive and used them to install Office 365/Office 2016 to my computer. The technician said I could copy these files to a DVD so if I wanted to install Office 2016 on another computer I would not have to wait for the Internet to download the installation files again. [...]
hlewton wrote:I think I found it but just to be sure I will post what I found by searching the download folder and sorting it by size. I found "OL365HomePremRetail.img it is 2,877,682 KB" in size which is along the lines of what I remembered. I have no idea what the ".img" does if clicked but when he installed Office 2016 there was both the 32 & 64bit versions in whatever he opened. Do you suppose this is the file I am looking for?
Obviously the prefetch file and the file in the appdata folder isn't what you are looking for.

You have found an image file (IMG) for Office 365 Home Premium. If one is using, for example, software such as 7-Zip it is easy to open such image files (and other archives) and have look at what's inside, and extract the content, if one would like. (Usually one will find what is often found in the root of a CD/DVD, setup files, readme, autorun, and several folders; i.e. an installation media.) That said, if the computer has a DVD-RW I think the standard option, at least in Windows 7, when you right-click an image file (IMG), is to burn the image file to a DVD.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 51080.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. I burned it to a DVD and also saved it to an external hard drive just in case it is ever needed in the future.
Regards,
hlewton