no schema available to validate ribbonx xml

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

no schema available to validate ribbonx xml

Post by stuck »

I'm waaaay out of my depth this time but how hard can it be?

I've got a loose grip on Andy Pope's RibbonX Visual Designer and with it I've managed to build some custom groups for both Execel 2010 and Word 2010. The buttons in those groups trigger my macros too so I've got something right.

However, every time I click Save in the Designer I get a warning dialog "no schema available to validate ribbonx xml OK to proceed?", to which I take a deep breath and click OK. The sky hasn't fallen (yet) but you know how these things go...

A Google search turned up this page:
https://support.office.com/en-gb/articl ... c2247d4602
which applies to Excel 2007. Undaunted I tried to follow it for Excel 2010 (and Word 2010). Step 1 was irrelevant as the Dev. tab was already showing. Step 2 is easy but all that does is open an empty XML Source pane on the right hand side of the workbook so the trail goes cold. The pane does have an XML Maps... button that brings up a dialog box but the only option in there is to Add..., i.e. no sign of the XML Map Properties dialog box referred to in Step 3. Back on the ribbon, there is a 'Map Properties' button in the XML group on the Dev. tab (same as in the screen shoot in the MS link) but it's greyed out.

Any suggestions?

Ken

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: no schema available to validate ribbonx xml

Post by Jay Freedman »

For RibbonX in Office 2010, you need the specific schema customui14.xsd. The download link for the installer is given in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3812 ... 010-ribbon.

The support article you cited is for validating data in Excel cells, not the ribbon, and it assumes (without saying so) that you already have some custom schema that describes your data. Creating a schema can be very simple or very complex, depending on how the data items are related and how many properties they have.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thank you Jay.

I'll report back when I'm back at my desk on Tuesday (Monday is holiday in my part of the UK).

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Edited to update/correct my original text below...

I downloaded Office2010FluentUISchema.exe and double clicked it. To my surprise (I was expecting the installation to be blocked) it installed customui14.xsd in a top level folder on my C drive.

However, nothing 'magic' seems to have happened as a result of this installation and the RibbonX Visual Designer still tells me there is no schema to validate the XML. Any clues how I can get the RibbonX Visual Designer to validate the XML it writes against this schema (or any other schema)?

In case it helps, the first couple of lines of XML that the RIbbonX Vis. Des. shows after I tell it to proceed despite it saying there there being no schema refers to a schema:

Code: Select all

<!--RibbonX Visual Designer 2.31 for Microsoft Excel CustomUI . XML Code produced on 2016/08/30-->
<customUI  xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui" >
Does that imply that it is trying to reach that schemas URL and can't?

OK so now I have a file called:
Office2010FluentUISchema.exe that contains a file called:
OFFICE~1.exe that contains a file called:
customui14.xsd

I can extract the .xsd file (using 7-Zip) no problem but how do I then make the RibbonX Visual Designer validate my XML against this schema?

If the answer is not to extract the .xsd but run the first .exe file and then the second one so that the schema is 'installed' then I'm stuffed because according to the stackoverflow thread doing that will put the schema into a top level folder on my C drive and my IST people have nailed things done so that lesser mortals like me can't do that.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

stuck wrote:I'll report back...
This is version 3 of my report back.

I've also found the equivalent schema for Office 2007 and run that .exe file as well. That installs a file called customui.xsd in another top level folder on my C drive. As with customui14.xsd though no 'magic' has happened and the RibbonX Vis. Dev. tool still doesn't think there's a schema available.

Ken

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I'll kick myself, and you have my permission to do the same. I don't use the RibbonX Visual Designer myself, and had been assuming that there would be a Browse button somewhere to let you locate the schema file you want. Wrong! I just Googled the designer and went to http://www.andypope.info/vba/ribboneditor_2010.htm, where I found this:
The download also includes the schema files for each ui version which should be stored in the same location as the add-in in order to allow for xml validation.
(Emphasis added)

Try just copying one of the .xsd files into the Visual Designer's folder and see if it gets recognized...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Jay Freedman wrote:I'll kick myself, and you have my permission to do the same...
:blowup: :bananas: :bwaah: :stupidme:

I have kicked myself and you have my permission to do the same. I'd 'read' that page several times, looking for the glaringly obvious bit you quote.

Yes, copying the .xsd files into the addins folder is the answer :thankyou:

Now, is there a desk around here where I can bang my head?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here you go :smile:
Desk.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:hmmn: thanks Hans, it's uncanny the way you're always so quick with an answer.

:whisper: unless it's a question about the Ribbon :evilgrin:

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote::whisper: unless it's a question about the Ribbon :evilgrin:
I know - that's not my forte... :sorry:
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As has been revealed by this thread, it's not mine either :grin:

I'm only dabbling with it as I needed to find a better way of distributing customisations to other members of my team. Preparing a master copies of Excel and Word Ribbon customisations on my own PC, exporting them and then running around everybody's PC and importing them is not sensible. Plus it means I can at last get all the crucial code out of Normal.dotm and into it's own global template.

This makes everything a tiny bit less ugly than it was.

Ken