setting the size of custom group icons on the ribbon

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

setting the size of custom group icons on the ribbon

Post by stuck »

I can add a custom group to a tab on the Ribbon and when I add macros as items to that custom group I can rename them and set icons for them. I could even use custom icons if I dig out the Custom UI Editor but...

Is it possible to control/fix/set how these icons are displayed on the Ribbon?

At the moment I have a custom group listing 4 macros and these are presented as one big icon on the left and three little ones in a column on the right. If I make the window wide enough the icons rearrange themselves to be a single row of four large icons but if I shrink the window they never become two columns of two or one column of four, they remain as 'one & three'. I'd like them always to be in a single column of four small icons. Can this be done?

Probably not, as if I export the customisations there's nothing in the .exportedUI files that looks like it dictates the layout of the icons but bigger brains in The Lounge might know otherwise.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: setting the size of custom group icons on the ribbon

Post by HansV »

It is possible to customize the way icons are resized when the window is resized. See Ribbon Layout and Resizing.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

For additional reading on this topic, I also came across this article...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:eyeout:
:thankyou:

I'll try and get back to this tomorrow but it's more likely to be Friday before this returns to the top of the pile :grin:

Ken

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Looking at all the templates shown in the article that Rudi cited, there is no provision for having a stack of more than three small buttons in any of them. It would require an increase in the height of the ribbon, which is something Microsoft probably forbids.

All of the four- and five-button templates require the first button to be large. I don't know what you'll get if you specify a six-button template and make the last two buttons invisible.