Multiple versions of Office installed issues

bknight
BronzeLounger

Multiple versions of Office installed issues

Post by bknight »

I have Office 97, 2K and 2007 installed. About a year or so ago Microsoft releases a security update for 2007. After installing the updates, I found I was unable to open any Office 97 program or 2K program. I found that uninstalling 2007 didn't help and reverting to a previous save point didn't help. Registry previous save point were wiped off the pc. So I started searching for possible solutions and found there were still parts of 2007 residing in the registry. After deleting those and re-installing Office 97 and 2K enabled using both. My default Access program is A97, Excel and Word 2K.

Now the issues that I have; when opening A 2K I get a "registration" pop-up with a cancel button. If I am fast enough to click the cancel button all of the programs open, if I'm not fast enough, then A97 will not open. This forces me to use the 97 installation disk and open A97, everything opens ok again.

This "registration" of A 2K occurs every time t is opened. What I'm looking for is direction to place a key in the registry to prevent this pop-up from occurring.

The reason I'm asking is canceling the registration is a nuance and experience with Word 2007, leads me to the registry. Word 2007 had a similar re-registering every time it opened until I put a key in the registry(\somewhere and I can't remember where). So is there a key and place to put the key in registry that will prevent this pop-up? :hairout:

HansV
Administrator

Re: Multiple versions of Office installed issues

Post by HansV »

I vaguely remember reading about such a trick, but I can't find it now.

I would strongly recommend that you convert all your Access 97 databases to Access 2000 or Access 2002/2003 format (you'd need Access 2002 or 2003 for the latter, of course), and then abandon Access 97. That version was released more than 19 years ago, and hasn't been updated in a long time.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Some maybe, many code modules were incompatible in 2K and it has been too long since I went to coding classes. A97 although has no updates still works fine.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It'd be best to install each version of Office on a separate machine; they could be virtual machines on the same PC.
That way they won't bite each other.

Here is an article about installing 97 and 2000 on the same PC: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/241141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

When you try to install Access 97, you have to avoid the "Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine" error message caused by the presence of the Hatten font, which is installed by Access 2000 and Office 2000. Also, if the Access 97 installation finds a newer version of the Msaccess.exe file on the computer, it will not install the 97 version of the Msaccess.exe file.
1.Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
2.Find the Hatten.ttf file, and then rename it to Hatten.sav. You must do this to avoid the "Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine" error message when you start Access 97.

NOTE: You can find the Hatten.ttf file in the Fonts folder under the name, Haettenschweiler
It is interesting that the file does not exist nor the folder. There is a reference in an .xml file though.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

bknight wrote:This "registration" of A 2K occurs every time t is opened. What I'm looking for is direction to place a key in the registry to prevent this pop-up from occurring.

The reason I'm asking is canceling the registration is a nuance and experience with Word 2007, leads me to the registry. Word 2007 had a similar re-registering every time it opened until I put a key in the registry(\somewhere and I can't remember where). So is there a key and place to put the key in registry that will prevent this pop-up? :hairout:
For Word 2007, you can prevent other versions of Word on the same machine from messing with its registry entries by going to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options and creating a REG_DWORD entry named NoRereg with a value of 1. Do the same for each other version of Word on the machine (change 12.0 to the other version number).

I believe the same thing works for Excel, but I don't have more than one version of Excel here to test with. I don't see an Options key under Access for any version, so it may not apply there.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

HansV wrote:It'd be best to install each version of Office on a separate machine; they could be virtual machines on the same PC.
That way they won't bite each other.

Here is an article about installing 97 and 2000 on the same PC: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/241141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tried to re-install this evening and kept getting a CTL3D32.DLL is missing from the windows system folder. I looked and one resides in both the system and system 32 folders. I renamed them both and copied the one the installation disk, no luck.